• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Weird Noise – Never heard one like it (but I could use some help)

liviu

NAXJA Forum User
I had the Jeep in my garage for 2-3 months, doing some work. I replaced the exhaust manifold with headers, did an E-fan conversion, made a Y downpipe (I used the Banks 02 TJ header), re-routed the belt (like ’97 TJ) to create more room for E-fan’motor. The direction or suspension components were never touched (except the PS pump when the intake came down). Most of the time the Jeep just sat in the garage in the same spot.

Now my XJ (@ 73K)is running stronger than before, except that a strange noise appears. It sounds like a hydraulic pump when feeds oil to a cylinder that has got to the end of the stroke and the pump starts make a vibration noise and damp oil back in the tank thru its overpressure valve (ny noise is a bit stronger). I heard something similar on some cars when I turn the wheel all the way and there is no more for the steering where to go. In my case appears only when turning right going forward, or turning left going backwards. It does not appear to be related to the rev’s, rather to the car’s speed and only when the car is moving maintening its speed or accelerating thru the turn. Is getting louder as the speed thru the turn increases and shows up @ 20mph or higher, as the stering wheel turns more than @ ¾ of a turn. No vibration is felt in the steering (nor is at the end of the turning stroke), no “metallic noises” nor vibration in the suspension/body. The noise gradually disappears as the wheels turn straight. The steering is working smooth and the belt is tight. The noise appears in @ 80% of turns thru the city.

The reason I can’t pin it down is because is only on right turns (going forward). What could it be?

Thanks,
Roy

I would check your front cv joint, they like to make noise when they are going bad.

check the ones in the wheels, if you have somebody walking beside jeep while turning sharp at low speed - they should hear something.

Back