• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift choices

lift of choice

• Rubicon Express

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • Rock Krawler

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • Skyjacker

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Fabteck

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Rough Country

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Rustys

Votes: 22 14.6%
  • Clayton

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Someone Else I havnt found yet

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Cusom Recipies

Votes: 30 19.9%

• Total voters

xj4x

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I'm in the prep stages of lifting my 97 XJ. Ive done a 3" lift in the past on a 93 Xj worked ok but I want the larger meats under this one. I haven't been a good 4 wheeler lately and haven't kept up on all the new tech coming out the searches I have tried have left me somewhat bewildered as to whats really being done today.

Ive been looking at the 5.5 to 8" lifts out there as they all seem to run fairly close to the same price range. What I'm trying to find out is what peoples opinions are to some of these lifts and personal experiences with them.

Also if you have made your own custom lift in this range if you wouldn't mind sharing your experience and recipe I would be greatly thankful.

Last edited:
I like Cusom Recipies their customer service is great, but the shipping is slow.

I see the advantage of the Ylink. Looks like a lot less headache. Question though is there a possibility of alignment problems with that link or has no one seen any problems out of it?

what about full traction? i dont have their setup but heard o.k. things about them

shimmy said:
i think the ylink is great, but a little overated mate. i'd go with mix of components.

Ok then what kind of mix are you talking about here?

What is everyones favorite recipe for a lift on an XJ?

shimmy said:
clayton use RE coils?

no... last time I checked I think Clayton uses rock krawler coils and leaves

i personally think that you can't go wrong with a hybrid ( mix & match ) lift. . . i have a 97' XJ with 8 inches under it with very slight fender cutting to fit 36x13.5 iroks. i have eight inch skyjacker coils and skyjacker nitro 7000's in the front with custom steering from andy at carolina rock shop. i have r.e. fully adjustable uppers and lowers with the rebuildable hd jonnie joints and i opted for the r.e. control arm relocation bracket. the back has r.e. 4 inch leafs with teraflex 4 inch shackles, and rancho 9000 5 way adjustable shocks. it seems to do pretty well. of course the real test will be in tellico in early june

part_time said:
r.e. 4 inch leafs with teraflex 4 inch shackles,

Ok from what I can remember from a few years back shackle lifts were frowned upon has this changed? Are they making shackles that are holding up better today?

XJ4X,

I didn't see Tomken Machine (Tomken.com) on your list of choices. I had one of their 6" lifts (on an 89') back in 95' when they were one of the first companies to have a lift that high for cherokees. I was happy with that kit, the quality was pretty good and it never sagged. I now have a Rubicon Express 5.5" lift and am very pleased. I think it is one of the most complete and heavy duty kits for the price. I think using RE as the "core" for your lift and then add other parts from companies is the best way to go. I have the RE 5.5" kit but substituted JKS HD adjustable trackbar and quick disconnects. I also plan to add JKS upper adjustable control arms due to their rubber twist joints for the quite/smooth ride. One more thing....I have JKS ACOS up front and TNT shackles in back to actually give me closer to 6.5" of lift.

Back