• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another shimmy-wobble question/problem, I don't think it's DW though...

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
I have been expereincing some front end wobbles for a whilw now, that I am having a hard time figuring out what is causing it. Here is the break down on everything:

The symptoms: Front end shimmy/wobble above 55 mph. Will drive smooth in a straight line, but seems to come on when a bit of turn is initiated. Will wobble after straightening out, then calm down, but sometimes comes back in a straight line too. The passenger seat dances all over the place. I can feel it in my feet, and the steering wheel. I don't think it's the dreaded DW, since I haven't soiled myself, but I am worried it is the start of it?

OK, here's the run down on what I have:
'99 with 80,000 miles
4" front lift
New (3 weeks) TNT upper adjustable arms, Pro Comp fixed lower (6 months old), New RE tie rod and ends, RE adjustable track bar, rotors were recently turned(but no shimmy in braking), 33" BFG MT's (used, but mounted and balanced 2 weeks ago), 15" steely simulated beadlocks, newer steering shock (6 months)

I have assumed all along that this has been a tire/balance issue. However, this problem has persisted through 2 sets of rims, and two sets of tires. (15x7 rims with 31's, 15x8 with 31's, now 15x8 with 33's). I have gone through and made sure everything is tight in the track bar, tie rod, and control arms. The alignment is good per a driveway alignment, and I recently added a bit more castor, with no change in symtoms.

So what I need to know is, what else might be causing this?
1) front U-joints
2) hub assembly
3) ball joints
4) upper control arm bushings (axle side)

What am I missing that it might be? I plan to have the tire balance checked AGAIN, and the alignment gone over professionally. With three wheel tire/wheel combinations, I am really starting to think it is something else though. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I start throwing new parts at it.

sounds like the start of DW to me. Good luck with that, mine went away when I installed my lift, so I am inclined to think that LCA and UCA bushings have a lot to do with it sometimes, but it looks like you have that covered.

I decided to ask the service dept at the local jeep dealer how to cure the DW last week, First I had to explain what death wobble was (they had never heard that term), then they proceeded to tell me that my rotors were warped and that I should have them turned. (wrong answer)

alot of times DW starts with the ball joints I would do those first has helped resolve mine on 2 different vehicles lifted and stock.

aardvark4x4 said:
A bad steering damper is a common cause.

My understanding is that the steering dampener does not "cause" vibration, it is only used to mask it. The dampener I have is a Skyjacker, and was new 6 months ago, so I really don't think that is the issue.

aardvark4x4 said:
They don't cause or mask shimmy, they're there to damp the hamonics which can build up from a single bump and escalate into the dreaded wobble.

Right. My point being, in all the reading of various posts on shimmy and wobble posts, is that this is usually one of the last things to worry about replacing, that the root of the problem is usually elsewhere.

I was doing some reading on the double stabilzer, and almost everyone said don't bother, double check/replace everything else 1st.

Something else to think about is how accurate is your toe-in /toe-out?
Use gojeep's method to measure, but measure from rim to rim, not tire to tire.
Use accurate setting of toe as a starting point.

Back