• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fenders compatibility

schmiedel

NAXJA Forum User
The front right fender of my XJ has a really bad paintjob, besides I broke a coil-spring a few months ago and the tire just finished with it. Now I'm considering buying a new one, and I saw that the 1996+ fenders are different from the 1995- ones. Besides, I have seen some mods to get the front of a 1996+ XJ to fit on an older one.

So, my questions are:

1. Will the front of a 1996+ XJ fit on any older XJ without replacing fenders?
2. I felt the 1996+ fenders like being more cut-off. Does that mean that I can use these and have better tire-clearance or is it just my imagination?

Regards

I've been looking to the same thing. I have a 1996 and need to replace a fender. I looked at a 1998 and the front of the fender at the bottom is already cut out for the front bumper end caps. Sure would be nice in they would just bolt on!!

I did this mod on my MJ. There is quite a bit of info out there and a bit of grey area as well. The new and old style fenders use the same holes and screws.

But, they are different as well. The newer stle has a rounded corner coming from the top down. Also, the front area where you mate the front clip to the fender is different. On the older style there is to screws that are in the fender and attach to the front clip. The newer style has these located in anothe spot and one is in the fender as the other is in the front face clip. The front grille/clip on the newer style will not mate to the older w/o getting creative. I was not that creative and i went with newer fenders and a newer front clip/grille.

Its a costly upgrade as well. Use as much OEM stuff as you can but if you have to outsource, only get fenders that way. If you get aftermarket fenders, they are usually thinner metal and will need a little bending and pushing to get a perfect match. I had one oem and one aftermarket fender and the OEM was a perfect fit.

Back