• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dying A/C Compressor

Ecarlcl

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All,
Sadly my Sanden A/C compressor is dying. The bearings are making noise. Anyone have a used one that I can buy for a decent price? Maybe a can of R12 too? I have a 1990 XJ with the serpintine belt. Any help would be appriciated. Also if anyone is in the Kansas City area Id like to get in touch with you. The ricers dont like my jeep every much.

Thanks
Ecarlcl

If you're swapping the A/C compressor,the system will need to be vaccumed anyway,so why not just convert it to R-134a at the same time. The conversion kit with new seals and freon will cost WAY less (around $35-$40) than the old R-12 stuff,and you'll be $$ ahead in the long run if you ever need to service the sytem again. I can get them at the 'yards for less than $25 all day long,so maybe you could check your local "u-pull-it" type yard and come up with a similar price. :)

If you are putting in a new compressor (be it from a boneyard or from the parts house), it's wise to replace the receiver/dryer at the same time.

That recommendation goes DOUBLE if you are switching to R134a.

Will 134A perform the same as 12? I keep hearing that if you run 134A in a system built for 12 it will lose that extra chill. Id like to still suck the 12 out and keep it. No sence in wasting it.

Ecarlc

its been 90+ degrees here and with R134 its too cold to run it on MAX. I usually keep it on bi -lev, or Normal if there are other people in the jeep.

R134 runs at a higher pressure than R12 which can make it harder on a old compressor. It also won't be as efficient but as Lucas has experienced, it's still plenty cold in an XJ.

Back