• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FENDER CUTTING QUESTION!!!

himold

NAXJA Forum User
I HAVE A 2000 CHEROKEE LIMITED AND I WANNA KNOW IF I CAN JUST CUT ALONG THE TOP LINE OF WHERE MY FLARES CURRENTLY ARE USING THEM AS A TRACE. I HEAR THAT IT AFFECTS THE RIGITITY OF THE TRUCK. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO FIT 30x11-16 THORNBIRDS ON IT WITH ONLY 2 INCHES OF LIFT (ANYTHING MUCH BIGGER THAN THAT IS CHEATING PEOPLE!!!) ARE THERE ANY DOWNSIDES TO THIS AND IF SO WHAT ARE THEY? ANY KNOWLEDGEABLE REPLIES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

1. Quit yelling
2. Thornbirds suck- you will regret that
3. Search
4. Pull your flares off and examine your inner fender wells. You will have to remove the inner liner. Your limits on cutting and keeping a rigid fender is the cross brace in the front and the lower torx bolt in the rear of the fender well.

i wasnt yellin, i just didnt feel like pushing the shift buttom alot, but anyways, thanx for the info. As far as thorns go, for all of the varying terrains here in south jersey they work well (better than my MT/R's on my rubicon!) and they look great. Yeah they suck on the road, but I also have a 30 some mpg saab for a daily driver...also, theyre fun in the rain with a locker!

himold said:
i wasnt yellin, i just didnt feel like pushing the shift buttom alot
So.....you're saying you were lazy instead? Search. Your answers are in there regarding those particular tires, that size tire, and trimming your fenders.

I find it hard to believe that thornturds are better than a MT/R. Ive never used them, but stories point out that they suck in all terrain.

Now, how would cutting out a fender on the front weaken the body structure? A fender that comes off with X amount of bolts? If you cut past the pinch seam in the rear, it might.

HAVE A GREAT DAY! :rolleyes:

anything bigger than 2" is cheating? wow i gues i really screwed up wasting all that money on a lifted jeep, i didn't know pucks were all i needed to be a badass:bs:

Im not putting a junk lift on it. I will even go 3 to 4 inches if I have to in order to fit the tires I want and still have incredible articulation. Im gonna get the best lift kit I can with the least amount of height increase. Now that Ive said it slow and clear for ya I hope you have an understanding where Im coming from this....I use my driving skill to get me through things, you just went out and spent thousands to take the challenge out of off roading....and Im the stupid one?

himold said:
Im not putting a junk lift on it. I will even go 3 to 4 inches if I have to in order to fit the tires I want and still have incredible articulation. Im gonna get the best lift kit I can with the least amount of height increase. Now that Ive said it slow and clear for ya I hope you have an understanding where Im coming from this....I use my driving skill to get me through things, you just went out and spent thousands to take the challenge out of off roading....and Im the stupid one?

ahem.... i have under 2000 in my jeep and that includes the price of the jeep, and its reliable enough to drive every day. I have more fun offroading than anything i've ever done and i build mine to go find an even bigger challenge every time i hit the trail. . so before you come in here spouting what you think is the absolute truth sit back and open up to some new ideas, you might be surprised how well it works. And if you see no challenge here then you my friend will never be satisfied

Dsc08705.jpg

ok i'm done now, i'm a really nice guy once you get to know me :D nothing personal bro

See I think most of the people on here ride rocks and dont understand that where I ride there are no rocks, and not only that but if we did have them I wouldnt be the least bit interested in them....thats one aspect of off roading I will never be into....sorry. I have tried, but not interested. Jersey has every kind of terrrain except rocks and Im cool with that.

himold said:
See I think most of the people on here ride rocks and dont understand that where I ride there are no rocks, and not only that but if we did have them I wouldnt be the least bit interested in them....thats one aspect of off roading I will never be into....sorry. I have tried, but not interested. Jersey has every kind of terrrain except rocks and Im cool with that.

Oh sorry... I didn't understand. By all means get the thornbirds. You're definatley right! :kissyou:

Yeah but how many Jeeps can ride the Rubicon bone stock? And correct me if Im wrong, but isnt that one of the more challenging trails around?

Dirt said:
Oh sorry... I didn't understand. By all means get the thornbirds. You're definatley right! :kissyou:

Most of my wheeling is in the midwest, I love rocks when I find them. I ran thornturds for 2 months, I knew they sucked first run out but it took 2 months to find somone to buy them from me. Save your money for better tires.

Lol, I happen to be close enough to call it in your neck of the woods and I can say that even in your mud and grass fields wheeling, thornbirds do absolutely nothing but throw grass and mud. now if that's what you're into, go for it, but other than that, they really do suck. You'd be suprised what you can learn and apply out here from all those guys out west. If I'm not mistaken, they only try to lift as little as possiable to lower their center of gravity, so if their 6" lifts or whatever you consider excessive is what they call as low as they can, then well......stfu because their shit must be damn harder and take much more skill than your grass and mud. I'd really like to help with your question, but the more and more that I type, I get more and more frustrated with people and their stubborn assed attitudes and their unwilligness to listen to peoples reasons for doing what they do. Quit judging other people and just work on your little jeep. From what your attitude is saying right now, you're not gonna listen to us and our advice anyhow, so yeah, go for it.

53guy said:
Lol, I happen to be close enough to call it in your neck of the woods and I can say that even in your mud and grass fields wheeling, thornbirds do absolutely nothing but throw grass and mud. now if that's what you're into, go for it, but other than that, they really do suck. You'd be suprised what you can learn and apply out here from all those guys out west. If I'm not mistaken, they only try to lift as little as possiable to lower their center of gravity, so if their 6" lifts or whatever you consider excessive is what they call as low as they can, then well......stfu because their shit must be damn harder and take much more skill than your grass and mud. I'd really like to help with your question, but the more and more that I type, I get more and more frustrated with people and their stubborn assed attitudes and their unwilligness to listen to peoples reasons for doing what they do. Quit judging other people and just work on your little jeep. From what your attitude is saying right now, you're not gonna listen to us and our advice anyhow, so yeah, go for it.

53 has got his game face on! Get some boy!!!!!

Dude lay off the smack, get a saw zaw and start carving, it might actually turn heads when you are done but more than likely it wont, so.... let me know how those thornbirds work out for ya.

web wheeling drunk rocks

Back