• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting over powder coat

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys here is the deal. I have a roof rack powder coated flat black. its starting to get a patchy appearance. Some surface rust etc. i want to sand it down a little and then paint it. how will paint hold up on a powder coated base? i mean i will prep the surface but going down to bare metal will be difficult. thanks for the input.

Sand really well. Don't wipe off with lacquer thinner afterwards, blow off with air nozzle. Wiping off with lacquer will melt the dust, and cause it to smear. You may not be able to tell. After being blown off, wipe it down with acetone on a tack cloth. Spray with some good primer. Two healthy coats should do. Spray on paint of your color choice, with a light coat to start. Let it dry. Then go back over it a few times, with even heatlhy coats. If its hot and sunny out, let the sun bake it. HTH.

you can strip off powder coat with airplane paint stripper, they sell it at autzone in paint aisle. It will just wipe off like regular paint. They use and etching primer on the bare metal. (after you thouroughly wash and prepare the metal)

I painted directly onto my powdercoating with only slight sanding with a scotchbrite pad just to 'roughen' up the surface a bit. 4 years later and my roof rack, bumpers and rock rails still look good.

img_0294s.jpg

Back