• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-gear...not the usual question

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
Im running 33's and stock gears... im planning on regearing and possible arb in the future. My question is how much would i be paying more if i did the locker later and i mean a while later after the gears? Ideally i would do it at the same time but i cant afford that much and i need to re-gear... i know xjs suck gas but 33's and stock gears...

It depends what axles you have and what the stock gear ratio is.

The 8.25 rear carrier allows 3.07 to 4.56.

The 44 rear carrier has two flavors 3.73 and down, 3.92 and up.

The 35 rear carrier has two flavors, 3.07 down, or 3.55 and up.

The front 30 has two flavors, 3.07 to 3.55, or 3.73 and up.

So, if your jeep has the 4.0L and 3.07 or 3.55 stock gears, you will need a front carrier to go with a lower (higher numerically) ratio. The rear totally depends on what axle is in there now, or what you will be swapping in, if a swap is planned.

To regear without adding the ARB or whatever, you would be paying 2x whatever the per axle labor cost is. Once to set the new gears up now, then once again when you got the locker installed. You will likely need another set of shims as well.

If you decided to get 'lunchbox lockers' vs the full case ARBs or whatnot, you don't have to set up the gears again... the lunchbox lockers install inside the factory carrier.

Back