• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

slip yoke

norcaldude

NAXJA Forum User
im putting on a RE 4.5 lift on my '89 xj and i was wondering if insted of doing a SYE i could install a longer slip yoke on my driveshaft? could that possible eliminate any vibrations i could possible get from installing the lift?

The whole point of an SYE is to eliminate that slipyoke on the upper end of the driveshaft, not to make it longer as that tends to be more unstable as it rotates faster. With the '89, there is nothing to retain trans fluid if you ever have to pull the rear driveshaft, which effectively renders the vehicle immobile. SYEs provide a more stable output shaft and seal the rear of the housing as well as allowing the use of a dual-cardan joint in the shaft. Overall, there are plenty of good reasons to actually do an SYE and not half-ass it.

I don't think on an '89 your gonna have little if any vibration problems on a 4.5" inch even with the stock length slip yoke as long as you drop the t-case and especially if you tip the rear pinion up. Just my thoughts:farmer:

skip the tcase drop and do the SYE. You will thank yourself later when you get inchitis

djblade311 said:
skip the tcase drop and do the SYE. You will thank yourself later when you get inchitis

forget inchitis.....why would anyone lift a vehicle for better clearance and then drop the transfercase just to lose some of that clearance?

IMO, just get an SYE......you can get a good deal on the one from PORC and maybe use a front XJ shaft to ssave some money

Some guys use a YJ slip yoke because it is like 1/8" longer. It really doesn't do much. If you have vibes, which you probably won't, just make about a 3/4-1" tcase drop and you should be fine.

Yucca-Man said:
With the '89, there is nothing to retain trans fluid if you ever have to pull the rear driveshaft, which effectively renders the vehicle immobile.

...to me this is huge...t-case drop & extended slip yolk are just band-aids. Solve the root of the problem and save yourself some $$$ in the long run.

save yourself some money, if its a auto trans atleast. Get a slip yoke from a yj. It won't bind up as soon. Get a rear driveshaft from a 5 speed xj (longer) and you should be done. If you have the moeny get a sye.

I have done the first idea many times myself and sidriptide just drove to moab from Mass like that

I ran a 4.5" lift on my 87 with no extended slipyoke and no sye, doing the transfer case drop .. with no problems. I later swapped out the dana 35 for an 8.25 with a locker and again had no problems.. ran most of the non JV local trails that way and the rubicon. I lifted to 6.5" and put in a WK yoke (shortened) and ran that way for a few months until I did an SYE. I had no problems.

-C

Back