• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

insurance of a lifted Xj

00xj

NAXJA Forum User
I know this was asked before, but I'm to pissed off to look.

What companies will insure a lifted XJ? My insurance co just called and I had to go to the office to get my Xj photographed, I think they will dump me since I lifted it 3 inches. If they do my Jeep will go up for sale, unless I can find similar costing insurance. I can't take much more of this crap.

Thanks, Frustrated Tom

century 21 is hecka good!! i21.com i like them!

stoney

never heard of an ins com charging more for a lifted vehicle...my company is a don't ask don't tell type thing....only take pics of newer vehicles that might still have a lein and require full coverage

As long as it doesnt look mean it should be same as stock. Thats why many hot rodders build "sleepers" to be fast but still not attractive to cops or insurance premiums...

Why would they want to charge you more $$????? I say it all evens out... they charge you X amount of money and as the value goes lower you offset it by modifying it and making it more valuable.... otherwise then that, I'd expect for them to keep lowering the cost of insurance for me as the value (replacement cost) keeps going lower......

Kejtar

With all due respect to CentrevilleMX and Kejtar, you are not helping by generalizing, or saying they "should" do this or that. Every insurance company has its own rules, and they are all over the map depending on the philosophy of that particular company, what they consider to be dangerous, and what their company's loss history has been.

For example, there are two companies that are HUGE in the classic car market, J. C. Taylor and another company whose name escapes me. Last year I wanted to change my insurace on the '88 so I contacted both companies. One said 15 years old is old enough, the other said 25 years old is the "youngest" they accept. However, the clincher was that both said they will not insure anything with 4WD -- period -- even if registered with classic car plates and only driven to events on weekends (in other words, if you can show that you have another vehicle as a daily driver).

I'm with Nationwide and they asked me a lot of questions.....as for how many miles (approx) will it be driven weekly over how many days a week. Will it be used as a recreational vehicle (offroad, camping, etc) so I said yes......what kind of aftermarket equipment is on the jeep so I listed everything..ended up being cheaper to insure than my subaru plus everything is covered.

alot of the insurance rules are also set by the state you are in... my insurance went up $500 a year just by moving from a rural town to the 'burbs... they never asked anything other than basic equipment on any of my 3 XJ's... with te excetion of mileage annually... there is a discount for low mileage
mike

00xj said:
I know this was asked before, but I'm to pissed off to look.

What companies will insure a lifted XJ?
Thanks, Frustrated Tom
Esurance.com !!!! I pay 46.10 a month and it will cover my junk if I screw it up, as long as it's not for off road use only you will be fine

I'm with Liberty Mutual. Great company to deal with. They once stepped in and covered half of a claim (they weren't required to by law) that those b@stards over at State Farm wouldn't cover. To make a long story short,I got side swiped by someone swerving to miss another vehicle that was about to side swipe them. Their Ins. co. was State Farm. They said that since the accident was only technically half their client's fault,they only were required to pay half the claim :mad: State Farm will *NEVER* get a single red cent of my money-EVER!! I hate them :gonnablow WHEW!! Glad I got that off my chest :laugh: Anyway,my Ins. co. turned it in under my uninsured motorist policy and covered the other half of the damages(the cops let the other guy go since he made no actual contact with anyone). I called State Farm and told them what a BS company they were running,and that my insurance co. was going to cover the other half,they tried to tell me they had never actually ADMITTED fault for the first half of the damages. Needless to say,that's when I got REALLY irate with them:mad: and made them see the light:rolleyes: And the best part of all is that my premiums never went up because of the whole mess :thumbup:

Last edited:
I have allstate and I have never had any problems with them. The only time I ever got in a wreck I rearended another XJ on the base and totaled it but it didn't do any damage to the ORGS bumper. I took it and had the frame errrr unibody checked and they paid for that.

I took my XJ to the insurance company for the "inspection" and the lady walked around it and never said a word about the 6.5 inches of lift, the con-ferr, or any other stuff. I would say try the don't ask don't tell approach. They may not even know it is lifted.

as somebody stated, it depends on the state. Also it depends on many other factors including the company, agent/broker, wickedness and so on.

Also and very IMPORTANT, if they don't know it's on there they can and have succeded in not covering the modifications. This includes not replacing items damaged or stolen, or even cancelling or refusing coverage once they find out.

Don't ask don't tell is great, but wouldn't it be better to know up front? That way you can find proper coverage.

Finally, if all they use is blue book or N.A.D.A., your vehicle value does not include the aftermarket stuff, and thus the insured value is incorrect. A $5,000 vehicle with $5,000 in upgrades is only insured for $5,000. If it is say, stolen or totalled, you get $5,000.

I have to agree. "Don't ask, don't tell" is fine for the people who only want enough insurance to be legal and be able to license the vehicle. If you actually want your insurance company to pay for repairs and replacements when something is damged or stolen, though, you'd better tell them what it's got and be sure they'll cover it.

Back