• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade Snorkels

CJS

NAXJA Forum User
I don't remember seeing anything about this recently, so let's talk about them. I figured out how to do it when I had my 93' but now I have a 90' and there is a few more lines running to the back of the airbox. :) If you were going to do it how would you?? I'm hoping to find a way to route the snorkel to the passenger side and through the hood, but was just wondering if anybody else had some ingenious ideas.

Just make a fake one. You've got lots of other problems to solve if you really want to go in water that deep.

23hs1.jpg

23hs14.jpg

23hs15.jpg
]

I like this idea from a TJ....

I have a safari and dig it.

I'm still waiting for someone to post pictures of snorkel owners actually USING them.......

rovers don't count, I wanna see an xj in water above the hood line dammit....

convince me that snorkles aren't the biggest poseur mod out there!

come awn!

:)

11.jpg

This got deeper...honestly wish they took the pic 3 seconds later. (jeep is at 6" of lift...)

Had it to the door handles twice...had it on since Oct.

Did I get it to go up to the roof?
Nah...I got it because the airbox on the XJ is just mounted silly. I think it's more applicable for me in water situations that are unknown...

Last Oct, the front slipped into a hole and the rear pass wheel went up and the drivers front dipped in...water was over the drivers corner of the hood.

It's a $200 insurance policy against what happened to BigFodee. :D

EDIT: After 15 min, the door seals leaked when stuck LOL!!

Beezil said:
I'm still waiting for someone to post pictures of snorkel owners actually USING them.......

rovers don't count, I wanna see an xj in water above the hood line dammit....

convince me that snorkles aren't the biggest poseur mod out there!

come awn!

:)
well.... the water doesn't have to get above the hood for the snorkle to be needed... I think that of the top of my head I can think of at least 3 XJ's that wish that they had snorkels!

Kejtar

doesn't count toz!

I want proof!

that picture doesn't show the xj in water deep enough to prove the snorkle is anything more than just a poseur mod!!!

i suppose all you snorkle poseurs have waterproof distributor caps and coils?

I've had my engine die from having my distributor soaked from water no where near coming to my valve cover-crossover intake......

bring it!

Beezil,
the picture toz attached does show water at the level of the stock airbox intake, it is possable that he could gulp water at that point. Yes, your distributor will get wet 1st, yes that may stop the engine before it ingests water. A proper speed in water will form a "bow wave" and keep water from the ign system, but, it is possable to get water behind the headlight and into the box if you are in the water long enough, Drummond Island comes to mind.
There are 2 ways to get your air intake away from water, raise the Jeep, or raise the intake. Allot cheaper to raise the intake, even if you never intend to travel deep water. I am sure you have entered creeks, streams, lakes...etc. where the entry angle dumps the front of the XJ under for a few feet, the chance for water getting sucked into a stock box at that point is very real. Your solution maybe a open element, but open elements do not appeal to everyone.

Rev

Beezil said:
I want proof!

i suppose all you snorkle poseurs have waterproof distributor caps and coils?

I've had my engine die from having my distributor soaked from water no where near coming to my valve cover-crossover intake......

bring it!

There's been times that I could have used one (before I had one), before I put more money into my axles/t-case and such, now I just don't run in the deep mud/water cuz it sucks to have to change the fluids everytime you go out, and that liquid mud gets into EVERYTHING, which the seals wear because of it and then it's in your bearings and it cost more than the average photographer can pay to repair. Once you've gone to rocks, you really don't want to go back to mud.

BJ, you just havn't wheeled hard enough in MI to need one, I can agree that Wal Mart parking lots rarely need one so don't waste your money. :flipoff2:

I agree with Beez, the vast majority of rigs with snorkles probably do not have all of the other "water protection" that needs to be done for the snorkle to be effective.

Plus, if you do get water in the intake, just blow the water back out (without plugs) and your off again.

Just the last couple of weeks I was going to build a snorkle and decided that a large K&N cone on a custom tube would work plenty good for me at the moment. Not to say that I might not eventually do a snorkle but the extra work and design that was required was not worth it at this point.

my $.02

All the breathers on my Pig are plumbed up high...all the wires and dist have vast amounts of dialectric grease...

Beez...where is the airbox intake on a stock rig? Where is the waterline on my truck in that pic (hint, check the headlight...)

about 3 feet farther in that pic the water was even with the top of the fenders and spilling up and across the hood. I stopped. Backed up 3 feet and then continued on forward.

The previous mentioned Oct Stuck, I sat idling in the water for over 15 minutes. The Dia. grease works very well. The next guy to go through was in a YJ on 32's...(I was on 30's at the time)
K&N.jpg

There's his K&N that I had to pull out of the intake tube...
He put a Connecting rod though his block...I'd say my $200 snorkel was good insurance;)
bad.jpg

Don't like them? Don't have many water crossings? Save the $$ or time and don't get one...I do have frequent water crossings and it was worth the time and money to me to do it right (as in the peripheraries in relation to waterproofing the rest of the system and extending breathers).

Last edited:
2xtreme said:
I agree with Beez, the vast majority of rigs with snorkles probably do not have all of the other "water protection" that needs to be done for the snorkle to be effective.

On this we agree. I also agree with Mr Wheeler....cleaning mud, or worse sand out of everywhere sucks. A snorkel is in my plans...the local Walmart lot gets pretty deep out here.

Rev

6798182-777d-00800060-.jpg

6798227-7114-025801C2-.jpg

6798338-d67e-025801C2-.jpg

In those pics, you'll notice that my hood is covered in mud, and in the first pic, the bottom of my headlight is touching the water. In the last pic you can see the mud-line down the side of my Jeep. In my opinion I was in deep enough to take water into the stock airbox. Oh wait, that's right, I DID, when I pulled out of that hole I popped the hood to see what the airbox looked like and it was still draining by the time I got to it. Good thing it wasn't hooked up ;). I run a home-brewed snorkel. In otherwords, I turn the rubber elbow around so it's at the back/top of the firewall and put a sock over the end to keep out major debris. Used only when running through "holes" and not on a long-term trailride, it works very effectively. However I will be going to a snorkel as soon as the new air-flow snorkels come out b/c I won't have to trim my BWs much, if any to fit it.

Oh, and btw, what's a distributor, I think mine's missing ;)

Ary

rev, never ever, never, ever said anything about the stock airbox.....

i just said I've never seen anyone USE thier snorkel......

I'll buy any snorkel user a sixpack of beer, if they'll show me proof that they've forded water to a depth higher than where a open element filter located over the valve cover gasket wouldn't have been sufficient.....I'm not talking about going splashing into a mudpuddle, I'm talking about true water fording....motor humming along the whole while, water pouring into the cabin, becuase the water depth is over the hood......

show me that, score a six pack....

and everyone stay calm now, i'm just challenging a friendly debate.....never called anyones snorkel gay......

:D let me see if I can dig some up...I'm usually driving so I have to rely on others for pics LOL!

opening.jpg

okay, see? THATS what I'm talking about!!! everyone take a look at that guy! Provided he has done the rest of the necessary mods to keep that engine running while he finished the water crossing, THAT guy justifies his snorkle.......

I contend most snorkle owners don't have the balls to ford water deep enough to justify their snorkel.....

At least this guy has.......

if this guy shows up in Moab, I owe him a sixpack. I hope he like bud light, cause thats what he's getting.

Back