• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turning jitters

sw4218

NAXJA Forum User
93 xj 4wd - Steering wheel jitters when turning. Could it be front axle u-joints or ball joints or something else? How do you test for u-joints or ball joints?

Not sure on how to test the u-joints maybe someone will jump in I think u turn full clock and if u hear clicking or popping maybe. As for the ball joints I just had to replace on wife's '92. It was making a small sqeaking sound now and again when I turned or went over bumps. Don't let the shop sell u theirs it's crazy. My quote for the 1 they found upper, pass. side was $68 for joint and a bunch for labor. I found all 4, uppers and lowers on ebay for 49.99 and had another mech friend put them in for $125. I think the labor book they have calls for 1.5 hours each side so use this as an avg on labor if u take it to a shop. Good luck.

Back