• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spline counts and locker questions

Roads

NAXJA Forum User
Couple of stupid question. I am looking at getting gears and lockers soon for my 30/8.25 setup. When researching on the 8.25 I noticed two different spline counts. Are the splines on the axle shafts? If i buy a locker rated for a 29 spline would it not work if I have a 27? Also, my xj will be 90% street 10% off-road. I'm thinking limited slip front and rear would be good enough. I don't mind a little bit of quirckiness on the road but I don't want any chirp if possible. Keep in mind the cost, I'm not going selectable.

You have a 27 spline and the locker must match the spline count.You could upgrade the axles to 29 spline and buy a 29 spline locker.

It is a 93, so it's 27 for sure then. I'm on 33's, do I need to upgrade my axles to the 29 spline? If so how much would that cost? Would it be cheaper to get a Dana 44? Are there any bolt-up Dana 44's, meaning no welding with the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern?

Back