• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adjustable MAP sensor

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
I need to pass DEQ this weekend and am woundering what to set my adjustable MAP sensor at. I have a 1987 4.0, with 19lb Ford SVO injectors, 2-1/2 inch exhaust with a high flow cat and flowmaster, cold air intake, and H.O. throttle body. Any ideas, should I just set it back to 5 volts? Thanks What should I set it at for good mileage, or for the most power?? Thanks

Whered u get yours at? I found one on ebay for 80 but the guy dont reply to messages and his feedback is weak..xj armour. And the other place has one is Turbocity and 129 bucks. Steep but I htink I need one for my problems. Any help?

titan4u2c said:
Whered u get yours at? I found one on ebay for 80 but the guy dont reply to messages and his feedback is weak..xj armour. And the other place has one is Turbocity and 129 bucks. Steep but I htink I need one for my problems. Any help?
Just make one yourself for a few dollars like shown on Dino's site or mine. www.go.jeep-xj.info

Thanks but unless you wanna build me one and ship it for a fair price I think I'll pass. HAHA. I can install a stereo system in my sleep but that just looks like a bit much to try to me. I'm getting old and unless it's super easy I think the plug and go will do me. Think I need an adjustable one too not just the toggle it on/off mod and stock setting. Thanks.

Last edited:
What is DEQ?

If you need to return it to normal, and can't bypass it, set it at the ECM's actual 5 volt referance, it may be 4.78, 4.65 or something like that. It will be what the supply voltage to the TPS is. The Renix ECM monitors it's own 5 volt source, that is it knows if it's really 4.5 for example. So, if the MAP is returning 3.5, it knows that it is 78% of supply (4.5 actual), not 70% (5.0 theoretical). I made mine so it has two plugs that come out, one that plugs into the origanal harness, and one the plugs into the MAP. When it's time for emmisions, I unplug it completely and go back to normal.

Is this what you're asking?

Alright that makes sense. I will plug back in the factory wire. How do you think a broken tps would affect my sniff test results? What about power and throttle response?

jeepboy381 said:
Alright that makes sense. I will plug back in the factory wire. How do you think a broken tps would affect my sniff test results? What about power and throttle response?

A TPS works with the ECU to assist in determining the correct air/fuel ratio. It helps assist the ECU to know when that extra "squirt" of fuel is necessary when you depress the accelerator. Without it hooked up, or inoperative, you might experiance drivability issues as well as idle issues. You will likely have issues with emmisions. For automatic transmissions, a second TPS is in the same sensor, with an additional four pin plug for the TCU.

A TPS with the transmission and engine plug will work in place of the TPS with only the engine plug, if you have a manual tranny.

You will need a quality digital voltmeter to set the TPS correctly.

Alright, I am installing one out of a automatic cherokee this weekend for free and buying another one from someone else. I know how to adjust it and have a nice multimeter. I have been without a TPS for a couple months and believe that without it I idle passed 1,000 RPM, have less acceleration, less power, and worse milleage. We will find out when I fix it though, go through DEQ Saturday!!! Thanks for the info.

The TPS is adjustable??? I thought it just went in one way. I had to turn it this way and that to get it to line up, but are you saying I have to adjust this? Thanks.

titan4u2c said:
Thanks but unless you wanna build me one and ship it for a fair price I think I'll pass. HAHA. I can install a stereo system in my sleep but that just looks like a bit much to try to me. I'm getting old and unless it's super easy I think the plug and go will do me. Think I need an adjustable one too not just the toggle it on/off mod and stock setting. Thanks.

Its not that hard...really! http://www.jeepbarracks.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=18

this is adjustable and can be toggled on/off. Just build it with a knob on the pot and a switch mounted in a small panel. Mount the panel within reach, mark off some of the voltages on the panel, then mount the box under the dash.

Back