• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

performance exaust?

kennzz05

basic dumbass
Im curious what a 4 .0 sounds like with a nice free flowing exaust? like a ricer? Is it worth doing if so what have you all used? Thanks 98 2 dr XJ

I had a Gibson cat-back on my last cherokee.. sounded pretty good after awhile... they dont sound that loud when you first get them you have to wait for them to break in first, after a couple hundred miles it sounded pretty deep at idle and got to a nice level when you just drove around.. noise inside the Jeep was a lil louder then stock but with music and mud terrain tires it just drowns out... i recommend the stainless steel version i got the aluminum and living right next to the water it was a bad idea ... salt did its thing pretty quick

Right now I have a Magnaflow Exhaust Cat-back (custom made). My muffler gives a good deep tone without much resonation in the cab. I am putting on a Super 40 Flowmaster.

If you want my old one, we can work out a deal if it interests you.

go with the flowmaster original 40 ( not delta flow) sounds real nice and deep.. and if you are really ichy for sound and the performance combine that with opened up air intake with a magnaflow high flow cat ( 2.5") and it will be reall nice and deep.... thats just me the cat makes a nice difference over stock cat thats prob shot if you have any kind of high mileage 80,000+

MIke

I dont know what it sounds like, but I can tell ya next week,I should be doing my exhaust on the weekend.Not sure what I'm putting on but it'll be loud... :D

yeah i have a flowmaster 2.5 with a hi flow cat it really sounds nice even at idle i get that flowmaster rumble if thats what you like...mine w/ cat and 2.5 pipe was like 200 installed...70 for muffler 70 for cat and about 60 dollars labor at local midas...guy did an awesome job it is nice and tucked...only took about 70 minutes...oh yeah i have a 99 sport 4.0 L H.O. and am going to put in a custom downpipe soon to help free up some more flow since its a little banged up anyway...well worth the money but dont really notice much gain in hp due to 35's and 4.56 gears but did put a little more ummph in the accelereator... rustys has a good kit prebent and ready to install...anyways

LilRhodyXJ said:
I had a Gibson cat-back on my last cherokee.. sounded pretty good after awhile... they dont sound that loud when you first get them you have to wait for them to break in first, after a couple hundred miles it sounded pretty deep at idle and got to a nice level when you just drove around.. noise inside the Jeep was a lil louder then stock but with music and mud terrain tires it just drowns out... i recommend the stainless steel version i got the aluminum and living right next to the water it was a bad idea ... salt did its thing pretty quick

7 years with mine so far. I don't live near the water and they don't salt my roads, so my aluminized is still in good shape.

Best description of the Gibson? 'Grownup' sound. We had noisemakers when we were kids. ;)

I just put on a Banks header, Magnaflow stainless catback, and a highflow cat. All 2.5"

I don't even notice it cruising at highway speeds, actually think it quieter, but around town if I want to get noticed all I have to do is step on the skinny pedal. Not ricey at all.

The guy at the exhaust shop who did the install said "one of the nicer 4.0's I've heard come out of here."

Highly reccomended.

Another vote for the Flowmaster 40 series. Those things are tough!

I went with the rustys kit. One of my friends 5 year old daughter hears me coming and announces it when I pull into the neighborhood. :)

I also have a high flow cat. I ordered it from summit racing. It's been a few years but I think it was only $50 from them. Free shipping IIRC.

My header cracked so I went with the Borla. Didn't change the tone of the exhaust or make much of a difference as far aw power goes. I would say keep the stock header unless it cracks.

I have a flowmaster 40 series also. It rumbles and is louder up to about 1500 rpms, then after that it mellows out and jsut growls a bit. I can tell mine likes 1100 rpms, it's pretty good sounding then.

I had a Flowmaster 40 and strait piped the cat. I was at local 4wheel shop and everyone wanted to know what it was, and how they could do it. (Not Legal by the way.) It was the cheapest fix for a rusted cat at the time. I could notice a difference in power. I put a magniflow (Football) high flow cat back on after I started to go deaf. Still sounds good and Not as loud. Looking for a header now.

I liked the way the flowmaster 40 sounded on the sound clips. Sorry about stealing the thread but I was thinking of doing a Borla header and a Dynomax Super turbo muffler with no cat and having the pipe custom bent to come out in front of the passenger side rear tire. What do you think? Mine is n '89 two door, 4.0L, AX-15, NP231, with 4.56 gearing in the axles and 33" skinnies. My stock exhaust manifold is shot, it has crack all the way around one of the tubes where it meets the collector.

ECKSJAY said:
7 years with mine so far. I don't live near the water and they don't salt my roads, so my aluminized is still in good shape.

Best description of the Gibson? 'Grownup' sound. We had noisemakers when we were kids. ;)
How is the Gibson for clearance and durability, for those of us that play in the big rocks?
Flowmasters are tough, but I don't like noisemakers either.

Just got my Super 40 Flowmaster. I like it, it sounds nice and deep same as the 40 series. It also includes the nice flowmaster growl. The interior resonation is quite quiet compared to what you can hear on the outside. I purchased an aftermarket cat from Imco. Well worth the money for the sound, not to mention the added h.p. It was noticeable compared to the old Magnaflow from the post above.

jonboy said:
How is the Gibson for clearance and durability, for those of us that play in the big rocks?
Flowmasters are tough, but I don't like noisemakers either.

Well, they're round...so the clearance isn't anything like the Flowmasters. However, the wall thickness is awesome and I've had no problems sliding it over rocks and logs myself. Couple of cosmetic scrapes over time and it has done just fine. I've known several 'big dogs' with the same setup and they handle them OK. Doesn't really hang down any further than the 'frame' rails. All relative to how you pick your lines, I suppose. :)

I just ditched my old Flowmaster in favor of a Spin Tech. www.spintechmufflers.com The Flowmaster was 7 years old or so and had been to hell and back under my XJ and a rock on the last trip finally did it in. I have a Banks header, custom 2.5" mandral bent down pipe, to a hollowed out 2.5" cat and into a Spin Tech Pro Street Series muffler, then 2.5" piping out the back. The Spin Tech sound SO much better than the Flowmaster. Its about the same in volume as a Flowmaster 40 but much deeper and more aggressive exhaust note. My XJ sounds like a bad ass race car :D My XJ with the stroker and no cat passes emissions with flying colors. The exhaust isnt overly loud at idle or cruising down the road or highway but once over 2500rpm and lots of throttle it gets loud and mean. I wouldnt hesitate to get another one. The guy at the local speed shop says its the best sounding n/a 6 cylinder he has heard come through the shop.

AARON

Back