• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare tire question

red87cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Does tread width matter on a spare? I'm getting ready to get 33's, and of course will be getting 1 or 2 used tires for spares. As long as the spares are the same measured diameter and similar tread design, does it matter if the spares are narrower than the regular tires?

Also, I plan on going with 4" backspacing (on 15x10 wheels) on my new tires, but hope to be able to use the stock (5-1/4"? bs) wheels for the spares (hence, the need for narrower spare tires). I would only be using the spare(s) in case of a flat, and/or trail damage . . . so would the backspacing or narrower tread cause a problem for the rest of the drivetrain?

A little more info, if/when I get the 33's, I will also be regearing and installing LockRights front and rear.

My worry is that the different width/offset of the spare(s) will cause a mismatch in traction (even though they will be the same diameter) and break the axle/locker/ujoints/drivetrain/etc.

Just as long as the diameter is matched you shouldnt have a problem. Many people do this who dont want alot of weight and also clearance on the roof or on the back. Just remember it is a spare to get you back to civilization not to drive all over..

Tim

Sorta related to the topic. Don't use a tire that is too "used". My friend walked into his garage a couple of weeks ago and found the hatch and two windows blown out due to the spare exploding. The tire hadn't been used or rotated in, and just dry rotted. Scary if it happened while he was in it. The force even snapped the fiberglass. :explosion

Back