• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56 or 4.88 on 35"

MR. XJ

NAXJA Forum User
i need an advice on some gears i have a 99 xj on 35" with d30 and d44
with 4.56 and is my daily driver shuld i stay with 4.56 or put the 4.88 gears.

thaks for the help

j. garcia

Not to sound like an a$$ but have you searched? This has been covered about 50 billion times.

What is your style of driving? daily driver, off-roader, 50/50 or what? if you go off pavement at all then you'll want the 4.88's and yes 35's will hold up fine with the D30 if you are carefull and not a leadfoot.
been there and done it.

4.88 is not a worth while swap since you already run 4.56 gears. make it 5.13 and call it done, oh i guess you'll have to swap axles to go that low, but 5.13 with 35's is legit. i run 4.56 on a DD and 35's... its ok, but its not very efficient off pavement.

Like others have stated, it will not be worth while to go to 4.88s if you already have 4.56s. If you want more gear, do an axle swap and put in 5.13's. The difference between 4.56 and 4.88 when crawling isnt really even noticable.

This is all assuming you have a swapped in d44 rear axle. If you have an 8.25 the lowest you can go is 4.56s and if you have a d35 the you'll need to swap it out.

Hey guy thanks for all the help. The thing is that I won a set of gears installed
on a raffle that we had on the club that i'm in and the only thing that I have to buy is the set of installtion kits. Everybody had told me to go at least 4.88. I drive my jeep about 70% on the road and 30% off road. I thing I'm
going to go with the 4.88 gears.

Thanks for the help

J. Garcia

Back