• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Size.

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
First off, sorry if there is already a thread on this.. I did a quick serch, but I am really pressed on time and gotta run but wanted to get this question out there incase I couldnt find an answer in existing thread...

what is the difference in performance between a 15 and 16 in wheel? I mean, I know alot of people stick towards the 15, but in all, what is the difference? I mean, would I notice much difference... I mean, I understand the greater sidewall on a smaller wheel when comparing with same size tires, but I wont be airing down too frequently as of now, so would it almost be much difference? This is mostly because the tire I want only comes on a 16 at the size I would need (or the size I want). So just the basics on what differences I could see or differences that there would be would be great, thanks.

Scott

with a 16'' wheel you are limited to a smaller range of tires . Also, the 15'' will give more sidewall flex so you get better traction. The last thing is that most tires for a 16'' wheel have higher load ranges which means less traction.

few things to mention... shorter sidewall = better on road handling. Ive noticed alot of taller but narrow sizes which is great for xj's. Metric tires tend to cost more $$ for some reason, and most 16" sizes are metric. Alittle more clearance around calipers if you swap to bigger parts. Nicely proportioned with larger tire sizes (if looks are a concern). 16" rims are getting more popular in OE applications, which should make tire size availability better.....hopefully bring prices down alittle too.

Back