• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would YOU do?

JoJo97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So im bout to get a lift this summer. what would you go with?? Right now i jsut want to clear 31's and have really good flex, i will upgrade to 33's maybe 35's a year or two down the road. So im down to the 4.5 rustys kit with rear springs($670) and the 3.5 RE super flex with AAL. ($480). the thing is with the RE kit i will have to buy shocks ($150) and maybe a track bar($150). so after everything the 4.5 kit is still $670 and the RE kit will be $780. do i pay the exta $110 for a smaller lift WITHOUT rear springs?? Ive heard bad things bout AAL, are the RE ones realy good?? I just want to be able to go to Tellico this summer and not be at the back of the group. so, if it was your decision, what would you pick??? any advice would be awesome!NAXJA

Well, if you're planning up to 35s, try buying some kit with adjustable control arms and adjustable trackbar as it will serve you in the future, the rear end is not so difficult, but the front will be frustrating if you buy simething fixed and find out you have to replace everything in a year.

Regards

If you think $670 is all you will be spending, you will be wrong...you are going to want a SYE and driveshaft at that height, trackbar isn't necessary (I don't have an adjustable one)

Save up and get a RE 3.5" kit with the full leaves and a 1 3/4" spacer for the front. You will easily clear 35's down the road with trimming, and it won't look silly with 31's for now (what I have). Get a SYE and driveshaft too now, do it right!

have any of yall had experiance with the full traction 3.5 kit or the skyjacker 3" kit? both seem decent and are pretty cheap? any info bout those?? Aslo, when i do go 35's ill probbly sell whatever lift i have and get the 5.5 RE kit so im not really worried bout upgrading a 3.5 kit cuase i wont get 35's for a couple years. as for the SYE, ive heard that using a YJ slip yoke and front driveshaft from a cherokee will work. any ideas on that? I plan on using a T-cse drop whatever kit i choose so if i go with the 3.5 RE i dont think i would need a SYE anyways....

For the money I think the Crusty's is pretty good. The track bar that comes with the kit is better than stock but does leave something to be desired(I ended up getting the HD bar). There's so many opinions about their leaf pack 4.5" kit but IMO it's a decent value. A SYE is hit or miss with it. Mine didn't need it and I've got no vibes. If you plan on upgrading to bigger tires later on I'd suggest saving your money and waiting, as hard as it is, until you can buy the big flexy lift. Good luck.

Dude, I got one thing to tell you about Tellico....Don't slip and bring your A game! I'm new to NC and went out there within a month of moving here 4 times so far, once with my jeep with a 3in Rusty's aal lift and then left it home and just brought the ATV. It's serious and I couldn't get up 85% of the trails which would be anything above the easy ones lol which are 2. The maps don't help much there were some trails that were supposedly moderate and with a quad I got in trouble. I saw a few rides up there and these were like at least 6 in of lift with 36's or better. As long as you got plenty of armour and a good winch you can run 3 or 4 of the trails maybe with a buddy but don't think that a 3in lift and 31's are gonna cut it....you will leave it high centered or roll it, serious rock formations I promise you. :shiver: I went up when they had some snow and that was a good trip was enough to test my new lift with 4 in of snow and not knowing the rocky trail underneath, lemme tell you and these were the easy trails. Oh back to your question... I went AAL and still got sag so the packs might be the way to go for the money, I just had a budget and for under 350 for the 3 in with shocks and tranny lowering kit and a new HD tie rod bar, think I did good. Like you said if you go higher then 3 Rusty says you get into longer brake lines, and other suspension jargon needed at more $. If you got 700 or so to play with, maybe go all out now to get your height, say a 4.5 or more with spacers what have you and be set for your 35's later? Although they say to start small and add lift later...but after bloody knuckles on my 3 in I wish I woulda saved up more and went 4.5 with everything. But I'm happy I got about 3.5 up front and 2in or so rear before it settled. One more thing ..on tires check them all some are NOT true 31 inches. I found this out and if my lift can support 31's then I want exactly that or a little more therefore I'm looking into some 32's as they have more load carrying cap. and most are around 31.8 to 32.5 in true diameter. Hope any of this crap helps and good luck! Oh call me when you hit Tellico, I might wanna get some pics of me or you stickin a XJ...HAHA:confused1

titan4u2c said:
Dude, I got one thing to tell you about Tellico....Don't slip and bring your A game! I'm new to NC and went out there within a month of moving here 4 times so far, once with my jeep with a 3in Rusty's aal lift and then left it home and just brought the ATV. It's serious and I couldn't get up 85% of the trails which would be anything above the easy ones lol which are 2. The maps don't help much there were some trails that were supposedly moderate and with a quad I got in trouble. I saw a few rides up there and these were like at least 6 in of lift with 36's or better. As long as you got plenty of armour and a good winch you can run 3 or 4 of the trails maybe with a buddy but don't think that a 3in lift and 31's are gonna cut it....you will leave it high centered or roll it, serious rock formations I promise you. :shiver: I went up when they had some snow and that was a good trip was enough to test my new lift with 4 in of snow and not knowing the rocky trail underneath, lemme tell you and these were the easy trails. Oh back to your question... I went AAL and still got sag so the packs might be the way to go for the money, I just had a budget and for under 350 for the 3 in with shocks and tranny lowering kit and a new HD tie rod bar, think I did good. Like you said if you go higher then 3 Rusty says you get into longer brake lines, and other suspension jargon needed at more $. If you got 700 or so to play with, maybe go all out now to get your height, say a 4.5 or more with spacers what have you and be set for your 35's later? Although they say to start small and add lift later...but after bloody knuckles on my 3 in I wish I woulda saved up more and went 4.5 with everything. But I'm happy I got about 3.5 up front and 2in or so rear before it settled. One more thing ..on tires check them all some are NOT true 31 inches. I found this out and if my lift can support 31's then I want exactly that or a little more therefore I'm looking into some 32's as they have more load carrying cap. and most are around 31.8 to 32.5 in true diameter. Hope any of this crap helps and good luck! Oh call me when you hit Tellico, I might wanna get some pics of me or you stickin a XJ...HAHA:confused1
ask not what u can do fer yer country, but what yer XJ can do for you!

Back