• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axel help

DurbElites

NAXJA Forum User
i am trying get the old axels out and of coarse they dont want to. i am changing the ring and pinion out to a 4.10 and i need to know what to take off and what to do to pull the axel out and get the ring and pinion out. unfortunately i have only dealt with c clips so i am pretty lost, i just need to know if there are any special tools that i need or what the trick is. so far i have taken off the brake rotor and the 3 torque nuts that connect the hub to the steering knuckle and my book says its supposed to come out but its not... WHAT DO I DO?????

I used an air chiesle between the hub & knuckle. It will tear up the dust shield. Be sure to use plenty of anti-sieze for reassembly, mine come right off now. HTH. JIM.

ok that helps thanks! but is there anything in the diff i have to worry about? or is the only thing that holds the axel in is the hub to steering knuckle unlike the c clip is there a washer? and do i have to take off the nut and cotter pin that hold the axel and hub it looks like together?

If you are not changing the axle shafts, you do not need to remove the large nut holding the shaft in the hub. Once you get the hub loose just pull everything out. I try to support the shaft inside the knuckle with one hand so it doesn't drag across the seal. JIM.

so let me get this straight.you have no frigin clue as to how to pull the front shafts but you plan on doing the ring and pinion yourself?

kinda, i have done about 5 ring and pinions swaps myself but they were all c clip so i just pull those and pull the axels. this is my first 4x4 i have owned, other than that i mostly work on 2wd prerunners that use c clips.

almost forgot after i pull the axels out does the carrier come out? my book shows a special tool that opens up the housing itself just enough to get the carrier out is this true? and if not does it just pull out.

Back