• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift / wheel size...

NewOld96xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I searched so Im asking now :p

I drive my 96 xj daily and dont want to do nothing to radical with it. Just want to beable to go on the mild trails every so often. Im planing to do the daystar 2 in coilspacer/ shackle lift and am open to buying new rims as I need new tires now anyways. Was wondering what size tire/rim Can I fit and not have any rubbing? Want to go as big as possible and avoid triming. Want this to be quick and painless. My other car hoby takes to much time as it is :p

Most of the people i found when search were going 3in or bigger..

Thanks guys

whats your opinion of add a leaf kits? From what I gather I can fit a 31 in tire with a 3 in lift kit. My leafs are 1 year or 2 old so they are fairly new...

Vic

The majority opinion in here is that there should be no problem running 31's on a 3" lift.

If I had a 3" lift you can bet I would have 31's on it.

There are mixed opinions on AAL leaf packs. Some say they are to rough as far as on the road ride goes. Others say they have had no problems there. It depends I think on how the leaf pack is set up.

Try a search for 'Home Brew Budget Boost' it gives a different angle on adding a leaf. I think if you dont mind playing around with different leaf set ups you will find a good solution for yourself.

If you get an AAL 3" lift kit make sure it comes with the "long" extra leaf. The short lef AAL's are the ones that are guranteed to ride rough.

Try a search for AAL lifts.

Theres an overwhelming amount of info in this forum for any angle you can think of when it comes to lifts. Coming up with the right key words for search is half the battle.

Id say do some more searching and learn what you can about the different types of lifts, different lift companies and prices, and decide for yourself how you want to try it. Theres just not one simple clear cut and dry answer.

Im new to this myself and have learned tons just by asking questions and following other lift related threads.

If I had the cash I'd start with a 3 to 4 inch lift. Three being the minimal to run 31's without cutting fenders. (Though a few have said they run 31's on a 2" but they are not the majority.)

Also depends on differentials, gears, other mods. etc.. as far as going over three inches and 31's.

Im still learning what my xj will do stock. Following several "heads up's" I have decided to start small and work my way up getting used to things on the journey!

I really dont know where to begin recommending what else you may need. Its hard to say. Hopefully someone else will chime in here. Some say other mods some say you dont need them. ??

It may make for a stiff ride. What size tires you plan on using? What year is the jeep? What type of off roading do you plan on doing?

Dont forget duty taxes.

Adding an AAL you will likely need new spring clamps and new center pins and shocks (for a 3" lift). Doubtful (from what I have read) but possible shims, drop bracket, etc.. You wont really know until you get there.

I would rather see an AAL than a block... but it's your choice... in any case you should have no trouble running 31s with proper backspacing on 3 inches, assuming you also do the necessary bumpstop work to go with it.

My 94 has 3 inch lift (AAL Rear) with 31 BFG AT's on stock rims. Aftermarket rims usually do not have the same back spacing and may rub more than mine.
The front tire hit the LCA when going lock to lock, and the rear rub a little on extreme flexing, overall very minimal rubbing. Works good on and off road.

I've have a 3.5" BDS lift kit which includes front coils and a AAL for the and 1.5" Roughcountry shackles. I run 30's and I haven't had any rubbing problems yet.

Back