• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to the Jeep thing

rookies

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 87 with a 4.0, five speed, three inch lift and 32's. I would like to put a locker in the rear but what would be a good locker to get and what kind of problem should I expect keeping everything else stock?

Well we can start off by finding out what rearend you have. More and likley a D35, unless you have a tow package, which in turn, you more and likley would have a D44, but you do have a stick, so its unlikley you do.(correct me if I am wrong)

The D35 isn't the best axle to lock. Some say ya, some say na. If you do lots of hard wheelin, I would suggest to skip out on it. You can buy a lunch box locker for it. Cheap and it works. Or a full locker. Brands are ARB, Detroit, OX, Aussie, ect. But why spend the money, when there is always better?

Also, since you just bought it, you probably don't know if the previous owner regeared it. If they didn't, you have 3.07 gears. With 32" tires, that gearing isn't the best for wheelin. I would suggest at least 4.10 if you do lots of driving, and 4.56 if you do more wheelin than pavement pounding. Remember, if you regear the rear, you have to do the front at the same ratio.

IMHO, look for a 8.25 or even a XJ D44, regear front and rear, and lock it in the back. If your lookin to spend some more $$$$, get a 8.8 from an Exploder, or a 9".

Also do a search, there are pages among pages of good info, tech, and advice to be found. And welcome.

I dought that the gears have already been changed. No tow package as far as I know. I have the numbers from the tag that was on the cover
3 08 605323-1
Thanks for the info I am going to be keeping this rig for a while and looking forward to the fun.

rookies said:
I dought that the gears have already been changed. No tow package as far as I know. I have the numbers from the tag that was on the cover
3 08 605323-1
Thanks for the info I am going to be keeping this rig for a while and looking forward to the fun.

The numbers indicate a D35. Any more questions?

Back