• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Im stumped. can anyone understand this ?

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok well heres my deal...
I have a 2001 jeep cherokee limited 4x4. it has 86,000 miles and is in great condition. i bought it about a month ago from a dealer. i have a 6" lift on it with 33's. The other day i go offroad and everythings fine. the next day i stop by the self car wash and hose it down. when i get in my jeep and turn the key all i hear is a CLICK from the starter. So i call triple A to get towed to my house. while sitting there i kept trying to start it ever 5 minutes or so and all i kept hearing was a CLICK... about 45 minutes go by and i try to start it again and it starts right up. This all happened about 4 hours ago, and its been starting up fine ever since. all i did was hose it off at the car was place and i didnt even spray the underbody, im confused and dont know what i should do. to me it sounds like my starter but is it common for a starter in a 2001 to go bad so soon ?? thanks in advance , i hope someone knows what is going on here...

I know the 200 and 2001's occasionally have issues with the distributorless ignition system in them, but it should crank if that was the issue. Something sould have just been wet that should have. Tricky...

I'd say the starter. Had it happen a few times to my 92 xj. It didn't do it until the next morning. The started crapped out a few weeks later. ever since i replaced it i havn't had it happen again.
thats my .02

yeah im thinkin its the starter also, i just wanted to get everyones idea on this.
im just a little hesitant on spending 168.00 on a new starter... ( advance auto parts ) even considering i just spend 120 on a new starter for my 89 XJ and it WONT work in my 01.

It's easier on the ego to spend the money than it is to have smack the starter with a hammer when it really starts to go, especally in a public place.

put a hammer in the truck just in case. It'seasier on the ego to smack it with a hammer than have it loaded onto a flat bed.

lol yeah i guess you guys are right, thats funny cause this all happened about 5 hours ago, before i left for school i threw an old hammer in the back lol. but so far it starts up every time, could this have been a one time deal you think or am i gonna get some use out of that hammer ??? llol i mean if the starter did it this time, it means its DEFENITALY going to die soon righ t?

Could be the battery. In my experience problems that seam to be starter issues are usually really a battery issue.

Yes, it could be the battery, actually most likely. The battery could just have some corrosion on it and when the draw is much greater than the radio and lights it just clicks off.

I recommend that you clean the terminals real good and or just do it now and upgrade to an Optima battery.

If you plan on spraying the engine off a lot then go over everything with dielectric grease on your connections of anything that will have a current through it.

Hope this helps.

Mine did the same thing, and it might be something as complicated as the engine computer. It's HIGHLY unlikely, but hey, that's what happened to me on the way to a wheeling trip. Mine is a 96 though, so the issue might be different on yours.

Since you didn't hose off the engine, It's probably the starter. They can go for years like that or crap out tomorrow. Use the hammer. It could do it every once in a while for a long time.

You never know.

Check:

Battery connections.
Battery cables, esp. cable running to the starter for loose/corroded connections.
Ground straps from body/battery to engine for loose/corroded connections.

If that is all good, then I would suspect either the starter OR the starter relay.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Check:

Battery connections.
Battery cables, esp. cable running to the starter for loose/corroded connections.
Ground straps from body/battery to engine for loose/corroded connections.

If that is all good, then I would suspect either the starter OR the starter relay.

Rev
x2
If you have a poor connection on your battery then all your accesories will still work but you will just get a click when you turn the key. It has happened to me many times and I have never replaced my starter.

one more thing to add. i had a simlar problem with another vehicle, long story short it was the connections to the starter. make sure your wires are tight on the starter. it's possible they have come loose by off-roading or by the wash off. check the simple things first, just like Rev listed.

mine did that also. it was my positive lead. it looked fine but after i replaced and cut the skin off it and had really bad corrosion. also before buying a new starter at the parts store go see about an alternator starter rebuild place in your area. thats what i do for all my sarter alt. work. its about 40 or 50 dollars.

mine is a 90

If the "click" definately came from the starter, not from the small starter relay, have the battery load tested at your local auto parts joint...if the battery passes muster...and you don't have any loose connections on the cables anywhwere...it is either the starter solenoid or the brushes are starting to wear out. The solenoid serves to (A) pull the drive into engagement and (B) make the high amperage connection between the starter motor and the battery. If the contacts in the solenoid are worn, it will pull the drive in **CLICK** but not make the connection between the starter motor and battery...starter won't turn. If the brushes are worn...they won't make connection with the commutator and the starter won't run.

If worn, usually a qualified auto electric shop can repair a starter for less money than you can buy a "rebuild" for.

Back