• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keep the 8.25 or?

hillbilly_jeeper

NAXJA Member #1081
I've finally got it into the budget to re-gear. About time. I'm still on a budget, and before i buy the parts, i need to decide what im gonna do about the rear. As of now, im running 33x10.5 tires, D30 front with lock right, and stock ABS shafts with 760x joints. No breakage so far. The rear is a 27 spline 8.25 with a factory posi. And i have 2 spare shafts. Most of my wheeling is northern caifornia rocks. And i'm a fairly easy driver. The rig is not a daily driver. I know going d44 or 8.8 would allow me to go 4.88 instead of 4.56. I also want to do a lunchbox locker in the back. I know i can get the no-slip for my track lock case, but not the lock rite. Or, i could find 29 spline axles for my 8.25, and a new carrier and locker. I know i can find lots of explorer 8.8's, drum, at pick n pull. D44 are harder to come by, and sometimes expesive. So, whats the best bet for the dollar?

I have an 8.25 in the rear of my jeep and i havent had ne problem with it at all. i swapped the gears to 4.11 and installed a lock rite with much ease. Mine does have 29 spline axles. If i was gonna go bigger tires then i would upgrade to a D44 or a Ford 9" but if ur gonna keep those 33's then i would stick with the 8.25

Last edited:
I dont plan on going bigger for a while on tire size. When i do, i'll probably replace both axles and 4 link the rear. But thats for another year and more money! Right now, the main priority is lower gears(yes, 3.55's and 33's do suck, get over it), and a rear locker.

Mine spent a week in Moab and seemed fine. I am going 29 spline because I want a Detroit and it is a daily driver. If it wasnt a daily driver I wouldnt worry about it, but it is the only vehicle I have (hoping to get e Motorsysle soon, but we'll see) Unless you are going bigger than 33, it will be fine. You could aslo go the Alloy USA or Superior route. The 29 spline of either of these will be stronger than a 44, not sure about the 8.8. Ring gear shouldnt be a problem either. Because the 44 isnt much of an upgrade and they do get pricey, I plan to keep my 8.25 forever. Just my .02

keep it and upgrade to 29 spline shafts, you can get an open carrier then if you wish and can run the lock right. i'd go with the no slip though. easiest thing to do especially if you dont have someone to weld on new perches for you.

Ok. thanks. I can weld fine, so that was never an issue. But, why mess with it if idont need to. Might just run the 27 shafts, if i break one, i have a spares, then i know i need to upgrade it.

Back