• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4130 tig rod

txredxj

NAXJA Forum User
were can i get 4130 tig rod at a decent price? all i can find is 13-15 dollars a pound. i would like to get it for 10 or under. but that may just be a fantasy. all help would be apreciated.

Eeeeek!

You need to find a volume shop to piggyback an order on. Just so you know, it can be had for well under 4 bucks a pound.

--ron

im using it on mild steel dom tubing. i just finished welding up a chopper frame with it and i would like to do some tube bumpers on my xj with it. and isnt normalising and heat treating the same thing. u heat treat it to normalise it right? i know 4130 comes in anealed and normalised. but im not using it on chromoly just mild steel.

im currently at swkts and we are building choppers. im in machine tool and i was in welding last year. so i want to get some 4130 to do my own project.

Last edited:
Same process, but not the same net effect, and they are done for different reasons.

For mild steel, 4130 will potentially give you a brittle joint. ER70S-2 is a common filler addition for alot of very good reasons.

On 4130, unless you heat treat, use ER70S-2, it nets out nearly the same numbers.

--ron

Ron, dead on. Use Er70S-2...with mild steel your wasting time and money using 4130 welding rod. Even with chromoly it's a waste of time if you don't heatreat it. And I don't mean just heating it up with a torch, I'm talking about a correct procedure.

And if you weld 4130 with 4130 rod and don't treat it you will get brittle welds and they will crack. We've had a frame that one team did that way develop cracks with in two months of use.

we had a guy bring in a covington frame and that was the filler used so we used the same. so what is ER70s-2 is it a type of alloy rod? we just use 4130 because it is a easy rod to use and makes a nice weld. 4130 is what the tab says on the rod so i dont know if it is a different series or not. i will ask my teacher about it since i have been wrong before.

It's one of your standard mild steel fillers. I've been playing with er70s-6 on mild steel lately. It just seems to flow better.

txredxj said:
we had a guy bring in a covington frame and that was the filler used so we used the same. so what is ER70s-2 is it a type of alloy rod? we just use 4130 because it is a easy rod to use and makes a nice weld. 4130 is what the tab says on the rod so i dont know if it is a different series or not. i will ask my teacher about it since i have been wrong before.

Only one kind of 4130 rod. I don't know what the -6 or -2 represents though. I'll find out tommorrow or see if your welding guru knows. And a pretty weld is slightly less important then a solid one.

OneTonXJ said:
It's one of your standard mild steel fillers. I've been playing with er70s-6 on mild steel lately. It just seems to flow better.

Silicone Bronze flows nice. :D

--ron

Weasel said:
Only one kind of 4130 rod. I don't know what the -6 or -2 represents though. I'll find out tommorrow or see if your welding guru knows. And a pretty weld is slightly less important then a solid one.

the s-6 and s-2 represet the silicon content in the filler rod. higher the number, higher the silicon content. IIRC the silicon helps put impurities on top of the weld, you notice when you weld on lower quality steel, that there is alot of shiny looking deposits on top of your bead, this is the silicon, if you scrape it off with something hard, it will break like glass.

WA-HCXJ said:
the s-6 and s-2 represet the silicon content in the filler rod. higher the number, higher the silicon content. IIRC the silicon helps put impurities on top of the weld, you notice when you weld on lower quality steel, that there is alot of shiny looking deposits on top of your bead, this is the silicon, if you scrape it off with something hard, it will break like glass.

cool, here some info I found on Matweb:
[SIZE=-1]Universal 70S-2 is designed for TIG or MIG welding of all carbon steels. The tensile strength exceeds the base metal on single pass deposits on gaged carbon steel. Alloy 70S-2 is triple deoxidized using zirconium, titanium, and aluminum in addition to magnesium and silicon deoxidizers. Alloy 70S-2 is excellent for X-ray quality welds on carbon steels with CO2 or Argon/CO2 gas mixtures as the shielding gas.

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Universal 70S-6 is designed for welding mild steels with CO2 shielding gas. This alloy should be used where low silicon mild steel wires have not been satisfactory on slightly contaminated base metals. The additions of manganese and silicon deoxidizers improves the weld soundness and impact properties of this alloy using CO2 shielding gas. Excellent for use in standard MIG, semi-automatic, and automatic applications.[/SIZE]

Back