• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a trailer now I'm nervous

gabe4

NAXJA Forum User
Last year I had a little issue with my tranny, it got hot thinned out the fluid and leaked some I caught it in time let it cool filled it back to get home. I had the tranny shop pull it and they found no damage. Now I'm getting a pop up camper to drag around so I'm a little worried that I'm going to have problems. It's a 98 and didn't come with a tow package so no tranny cooler I should be able to install the one that came with rigs that had the tow package correct,
does anyone have the part number. I did a search and got a lot about after market ones but thought the stock one would be easier to install.

Well it's a great link but I can't seem to locate any tranny cooler

While an aux cooler is good to have you really shouldn't need to worry. I tow a 2700 lb boat trailer, a 3000 lb horse trailer and a utility trailer on a regular basis. I've only had a couple of times that I felt a bit concerned and that was towing my boat through the Smokies (no problems). I bought my '00 new with NO tow package. I change the trans fluid twice a year and have over 110,000 miles and running strong.

Aux coolers are inexpensive and easy to install. B&M or Derale are good companies.

gabe4 said:
Well it's a great link but I can't seem to locate any tranny cooler
Its there under cooling>Oil cooler>Automatic trancmission.
After you download the PDF save a copy then open it and open bookmarks scroll down to chapter COOLING open COOLING scroll down to OIL COOLER . You can close bookmarks to see a larger picture of the cooler, lines and all the brackets.

Back