• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5'' lift with 32's on a 2wd..possible?

ApacheMechanic

NAXJA Forum User
I cant remember the answer to this question! I've asked it before and searched for the post today but couldnt find it..I'm in Iraq and about to come home in about 4 months, and I want to lift my...gasp...two wheel drive XJ..hehe... I know..its sad, but if anything, I love the look of a lifted XJ. They just look awesome. Anyways, is it possible to lift a 2wd easy? I found a 4.5'' lift kit from Rough Country. Will that work?

Also, my rear sags, so if I get the kit with rear springs that will get rid of the sagging right, plus the lift..correct? Thanks for any info

dont quote me, but i think it should work. the coil springs should fit right where the stock ones did. and for the sag in the rear, if you get new rear leafs it will take away that sag and give you lift too ~ 3inches or more if they are a 4.5 inch lift spring

Look at my post about pictures ( finally ). Those are Boggers in a 33" flavor.
As for the 2wd part, IF you want, at a later date, to go 4x, it is a bolt in conversion.
Geek, if you are talking about MY ride... Whatever.

Conversion price depends ALOT on how much you can score the needed parts for ( watch for a trashed XJ to appear). As for the work involved, everything bolts up, but you will need to drill a couple holes, mainly for the body mounted bracket that holds up the body side of the X-case linkage. I converted my MJ, including swapping the tranny and X-case in to it, minus the front axle ( is getting regeared ) in about 4-5 hours. This is with HAND tools, while lying in the gravel driveway.

alright i'm gonna do it! Can you guys give me an EXACT list of the parts i'll need off of the 4wd XJ? Also can they be off different donor XJs if worst comes to worst? I hope so

Oh ya..what do you think...Lift and tires, or 4wd conversion first...?

you should be able to score a HP30 for cheap.

thanks for keepin our country safe. you all are loved

Since you have an XJ, it will be a little bit easier for you to convert to 4x, as there are immensely more XJ's than MJ's out there.
The list of parts that you need are pretty basic:
1) Front axle assembly and driveshaft, if you have the auto tranny, then the front axle theat you most likely need to match with your rear is the 3.55 gear set. This is extremely common in XJ's with the 4.0 and auto combo.
2) The four wheel drive tranny and X-case. This should be self explainatory.
3) The rear drive shaft from the 4x, as the 2wd 'shaft is going to be way long. Also, at this time grab the shifter, shifter bezel for the center console, if equipped, and , on hte underside, the X-case linkage, and the bracket that is bolted to the body to help support the shifter linkage.
You do not need to use different brake calipers or hoses for the conversion, as they are the same between the 2x and the 4x models.
This is, in a nutshell, the parts that you will need to convert over to 4x.

Back