• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire rub and steering stop

OR2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've read some interesting threads about running a 3" lift with 31x10.5 tires on stock wheels. I have a 2000 XJ Sport with a Rusty's 3" lift, running stock 5-spoke wheels (I'm not sure if 7" or 8"?) with 31x10.5 Yokohama Geolander AT+IIs. I rub lower control arms and sway bar at full pin, and when experiencing light flex in the front. It's not that big of a deal right now, but short of getting new wheels (please taxes, come faster!), I have read about adding a "shim" to the steering stop to reduce the turning radius.

I have read about adding a washer, and adding a plate to this steering stop, but I have no clue what or where this stop would be on my steering hardware. Any insight? Is this a good idea? Will it work?

I don't want spacers, and new wheels are down the road with a bigger lift and new tires...like years down the road. Great ideas and minimal snark are appreciated! Thanks!

Here is where the stop is.....
A.jpg

Last edited:
how about picking up some wj lca's? i got some and am just waiting for the time to put them in. that noise is aweful when the wheel starts to rub!

Here is a quick fix that worked great on my daughter's TJ. Buy two 15mm short sockets (3/4 drive). Place them over the steering stops and then apply JB Weld into the square end to glue them on. You may want to grind them a little to create a perfect fit.

Thanks for the tips! The link gave it all, and combined all of your ideas. Thanks again. I'll post results once I get to it...should only take about 30 minutes, including the trip to Lowes

BrokenXJ said:
Here is a quick fix that worked great on my daughter's TJ. Buy two 15mm short sockets (3/4 drive). Place them over the steering stops and then apply JB Weld into the square end to glue them on. You may want to grind them a little to create a perfect fit.

Now that's a odd solution. Why not just unscrew the stop and put a few washers under it? Seems like buggering a socket on there would be too much.

drifto77 said:
Here is where the stop is.....
A.jpg

Put your wrench on the nut at the kunckle,its welded to the bolt.
Wayne

Well, it's done. 20 cents later and 15 minutes including the test drive around the block. No more rub at all ith 2/side, and there was only passenger side rub with 1 washer in there.

So, thanks for the tips. Sure saved a lot on wheels and tires and possible damage to LCA/sway bar!

Back