• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another death wobble problem

mgfabpd

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched & read alot on this topic, but this is a little different, never had death wobble before, then I put my new hi-steer kit on, now, even at 20 mph, if I hit a bump - it goes nuts! While I was doing the swap, I replaced all the ball joints & u-joints, never messed w/ the suspension, or caster, the angles are all very mild, and pretty close to one another, I am running a stabilizer, the drag link & tie rod use heims, and the trac bar uses a special type of heim w/ a small poly insert. What the hell did I do? It ran great w/ stock steering (very funky angles) and I am running about 6" of lift. My angles are all better now, and everything is new, same stabilizer as before.
What is causing this? How do I fix it - the right way?
Oh yea, my particular setup has a tie rod that goes from knuckle to knuckle, drag link from pitman to pass. side knuckle, slightly dropped trac bar bracket, and the axle side of the trac bar is located between the upper arm mount & the coil bucket on the pass. side

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my 02 tj and I took it to firestone and purchased a lifetime warranty for alignments as many as your vehicle needs. (I have 6.5 inches of lift) they did the alignment last july 1st it helped alot at the end of july I had it aligned once more and wen with dual steering stabilizers it is completely gone

I did forget to mention that I havn't had it alighned yet, only becouse I couldn't make it there if I tried, but just eyeballing it, it is better than it was before I started - my stock tie rod was tweaked pretty bad and touching my diff cover. As far as the duel stabilizers, it kind of seems like a band aid that covers up the problem, rather than fixing it. I have heard many people in here say that if your front end is set up properly, you shouldn't even need a stabilizer.

What size tire are you running? If 35's try around 3.5* of caster and set your toe in to "0". That should solve your problems. If you are running stock caster settings (7* or so) and 1/8" or 1/4" toe in.... it will wobble for sure.

Throw a socket on top of your upper balljoint and put an angle finder on the socket to check your caster.

I've found that even with the new caster setting (appropriate for tire size) you still can get wobble if you run any toe in at all. Make sure it really is "0" toe in.

Good luck. Death wobble sucks. If all else fails... put hydro assist on it. It won't wobble ever again.

haha hydro assist thats what i like to hear.. i dont mean to hijack anyones thread but my tires are def toed in, so it is safe to say this is where my wobble comes from right? so when i get the alignment the shop will toe my tires back to zero or straight right? .. thanks alot

Im running 33's for now, but I'll have to look into that. My dig. level is at my shop, so I will have to wait until tomarrow to check it out, but I have a pretty good eye, as far as degree's go, and I can gaurantee that I am between 7 & 10 degree's. Any recomendations for castor & 33's?

And to the guy up 1 post, the alignment shop might not set the toe to 0 if their machine tells them that your XJ is not supposed to be 0. They will go by their machine (which is the stock specs) unless you tell them otherwise.

Back