• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 SYE Driveshaft question

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I have all my parts and pieces in for my TNT Y-link, all I need to do now is figure out the driveshaft for my 8.8.
I found a great deal on an 8.8 ($125) so I am going to put that in along with the lift. My question is will a front driveshaft work with this, and will I need the Spicer part #2-2-1379 for the Yolk. What worked for you?
Is the front driveshaft the 1310?
Can I use the driveshaft from the explorer? It should be 1330 right?

I have searched and have not found what I was looking for.

I did the 8.8 and with about 7" of total lift, I had to have the shaft lengthen'd by 2.5". and yes I did need/use the spicer ball yoke kit (dont remember it being that # you listed though) with the front shaft from a auto. I did this in a 1990 Auto, 231 setup. Oh but I did located the axle back 1-1.5" though.

M.O.R.E mountain offroad sells the bolt on yoke for the best price I did 12"s total and also moved my axle back 1.5"s. I bought a Tom Woods Shaft all I had to do was tell him my lift everything works perfect, indestructible.

CrazyXJ said:
M.O.R.E mountain offroad sells the bolt on yoke for the best price I did 12"s total and also moved my axle back 1.5"s. I bought a Tom Woods Shaft all I had to do was tell him my lift everything works perfect, indestructible.

Spicer part #2-2-1379 $23 at local brake and clutch shop
M.O.R.E. Flange $40
I have spent too much already I need a cheaper alternitive to a Tom Woods Shaft.

Drive Train Of Mesquite. 972 285 5179
Really good drive shafts, I think better than Tom Woods. About half the price.
I have one of there rear ones and they cut and shortened my front one.

Have you considered actually using the D/S from an Exploder? The u-joints are 1310 series compatible and you get the stupid Ford flange for the 8.8 axle. I have one under my '88 MJ that measured about 44 1/2 Inches center to center. I simply installed the slip yoke from the Jeep on to the D/S, hit it with some black spray paint, and called it done. The complete D/S WITH the flange was around $30 at the 'yard. Custom parts my a@%, find something in the local yard that works with NO mods, and reduce your "waiting on my new custom whatever the part is" time. Nothing against sales people, but I CANNOT afford $300 and up for a D/S every 6-7 months. Custom made/ high dollar stuff does not belong on MY Jeep, just on my '48 Chevy streetrod.

I have the 8.8 and SYE, I ended up using the rear shaft from my project '73 bronco. The stock front shaft will work, but it will be dangerously close to the limit of its travel, it actually should be 1-2 inches longer, which the bronco shaft happened to be.

Back