• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Issues

critik

NAXJA Forum User
My power steering is leaking horribly. I don't have time to work on it at the moment, however, and I'm just wondering if I can drive it if I really need to.

It's leaking from the pump...the fluid is dripping off of the pulley. The hoses are new. Some of the fluid is spraying onto the exhaust manifold, and I'm seeing smoke. Could this catch fire?

Also, the pump is incredibly noisy and is making some pretty horrible noises. I think it's done for. Is it normal for them to just start spraying fluid everywhere? (It's not the hoses...) And what would be the cheapest option to replace this?

critik said:
My power steering is leaking horribly. I don't have time to work on it at the moment, however, and I'm just wondering if I can drive it if I really need to.

It's leaking from the pump...the fluid is dripping off of the pulley. The hoses are new. Some of the fluid is spraying onto the exhaust manifold, and I'm seeing smoke. Could this catch fire?

Also, the pump is incredibly noisy and is making some pretty horrible noises. I think it's done for. Is it normal for them to just start spraying fluid everywhere? (It's not the hoses...) And what would be the cheapest option to replace this?

Sooner rather than later, the internals (bearings) are gonna get close to 1000 deg F. probably self destruct and whatever oil is left over is gonna ignite. The shaft and pulley may fall off and likely the belt and assorted pump parts are going destroy the radiator. The oil spraying all over the motor is going to seep into everything, probably causing more issues. And there is always the chance the oil vapor cooking off of the exhaust manifold will ignite.
IMO not something you want to ignore, either park it or fix it. Keep a fire extinguisher or two handy, one often isn't enough.

Don't bother to ask me how I know, but believe me that power steering fluid can catch fire. Something about people running around jumping up and down and carrying fire extinguishers while yelling "Flames, flames!" sometimes gives it away.

Back