• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj 231 vs. yj 231 ?

sass

NAXJA Forum User
The transfer case in my 94 xj is about shot and I have found one for sale, but it is for a yj. He says the spline count is 23 just like mine. Are there any differences? Will it bolt up correctly?
Thanks SASS

sass said:
The transfer case in my 94 xj is about shot and I have found one for sale, but it is for a yj. He says the spline count is 23 just like mine. Are there any differences? Will it bolt up correctly?
Thanks SASS
Could if both transmissions are the same.

theyre both model# NP231J so they will line up perfectly. make sure they both have the same input splie count. some came with 21 spline input and some with 23 spline input. information on which spline count came with which tranny in which years is few and far between and at best sketchy. just count em by hand to be sure.

I'd suggest comparing the amount of shaft "stick-out" for each transfer case, as well as spline count. It varies with application. If it's different, you could always swap the input shaft and front bearing from your current xfer case to the YJ's case. That's how the factory "adjusts" each xfer case for a specific application on the NP/NV 231's.

xjbubba said:
I'd suggest comparing the amount of shaft "stick-out" for each transfer case, as well as spline count. It varies with application. If it's different, you could always swap the input shaft and front bearing from your current xfer case to the YJ's case. That's how the factory "adjusts" each xfer case for a specific application on the NP/NV 231's.
X2
Spline length does vary between the different trans used.

Back