• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead Console

heyhar

NAXJA Forum User
I've just installed the Holy Grail of XJ owners everywhere- the Overhead Console. Many thanks to all the fine contributors on this subject! Right now I have the front header off the car, and I cannot find the wires that lead to the temp. sensor. There's nothing obvious sticking out of the headlight harness. Over in the front right corner near the battery, there are two seperate wires that end in plugs, but I'll bet one would go to a horn, if there was one over there. (Green with a red stripe, like the one to the horn). The other appears to be brown and orange. I'm guessing that the wires are here somewhere, as the other wires inside were there, making the installation plug and play for the most part. What's up with only the two rear lights operating when a door is open? A search revealed that this is normal, although someone stated that rotating a plug on the lights would fix this. I tried, but none of the plugs would easily install upside down. So I left them alone, and I figure someone will know if possibly splicing two wires would get all four to light with the door switches. Thanks,Ray...

It's actually almost dead center, right behind the bumper. There'll be a wire loom with a plug on the end...

You didn't mention the year of your XJ. On 97+ the temp sensor plug is behind the front bumper, on the front crossmember, in the center of the Jeep, below the radiator. On older XJ's there is a plug on the wire harness, (passenger side, between the battery and the firewall) for the temp sensor wire harness to plug into. Put the sensor in the same location as 97+.

I'm sorry guys- it's a '92. Yes, there seems to be an unspoken-for wire right near the battery. It's zip-tyed to the vacuum hose coming from the football. Thanks again, Ray

heyhar said:
I'm sorry guys- it's a '92. Yes, there seems to be an unspoken-for wire right near the battery. It's zip-tyed to the vacuum hose coming from the football. Thanks again, Ray
If it's the same style connector as the temp sensor, you've got the right one.

Back