• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission and Transfer Case Fluids

92westshady

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I did some searching on the forum and came up with some results but found a lot of debate and not a lot of definitive information. Could someone that knows for sure tell me what 2 fluids should be used for these items in a 2000 Cherokee.

1.NP231 Trasfer Case: Fluid Type and Brand?
2.AW4 Automatic Transmission: Fluid Type and Brand?

Thanks.

1. Dexron/Mercon III
2. Dexron/Mercon III

As for the brand who knows, I think the type of fluid is the most important. Autozone, Walfart, pep boys etc....

-john

Definitely use Dexron Mercon III in both. Brand probably doesnt matter so much as stated in the previous post.

Why not spend the small amount extra though and buy name brand fluid?

92westshady said:
Okay, I did some searching on the forum and came up with some results but found a lot of debate and not a lot of definitive information. Could someone that knows for sure tell me what 2 fluids should be used for these items in a 2000 Cherokee.

1.NP231 Trasfer Case: Fluid Type and Brand?
2.AW4 Automatic Transmission: Fluid Type and Brand?

Thanks.
1. Mobil1, ATF+4, AMSOIL
2. Dexron/Mercon III.

Thanks guys, I am going with Penzoil Dexron III. I had great success with Penzoil Syncromesh in my YJ manual trans so I trust the brand. Thanks Again

Back