• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anything special about a 95 XJ?

2001XJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I'm considering the purchase of a 95 XJ Sport, 4wd, auto, 4.0 as a new addition to my fleet: 01 XJ, 98 ZJ & 98 TJ.

I know there were some model changeover items on the 96 model such as OBDII, revised block casting, etc, prior to the newer 97+'s, but was there anything unique about the 95?

I tend to prefer the more "blocky" look of the earlier XJ's, especially when lifted, and I dig those vent windows in the front doors. The dash layout isn't anything to write home about, but overall I feel the older (pre-97) have a little more character. What I refer to as "shitty charm" :) Thanks for any input.

The "vent windows" in a 95 are fixed glass - they don't open. Couldn't stand the small front windows, so I switched to the newer doors with the full windows.

newer style seats and brackets, allow for grand cherokee and newer seats to be added, etc. chrysler steering column and cruise wheel. bigger front axleshaft ujoints i think.

I didn't know that the front "vent" windows didn't open. That's kind of a downer....I was reminiscing about my old F150, man I loved those vent windows. Oh well, not going to let that stop me with the 95 XJ I'm looking at.

Thanks for the info.

'95 was the first year for the driver-side airbag.

The 1995+ has different seatbelts, too... a narrower plate, and the latch assemblies have the big orange release buttons.

You can swap the vent windows for the fixed windows if you'd really like... many people complain that they're noisy and leaky, though!

Not too sure about the axle shaft u-joints... my '94 has those.

Thanks. I discovered that 94 was the last year for the functional vent windows. I found a place called Mopar Wholesale Parts that stocks the vent windows for $200.00 a side. I will consider installing one on just the driver's side, or maybe not?? My biggest concern with them is vehicle theft. But I do enjoy driving with the vent window open on days that I don't want to use a/c.

What about the fuel filter? Do the 95 models have the inline fuel filter or is it part of the fuel pump assembly. I seem to recall that the setup changed a few times between 95 and 97/8.

Finally, what exactly is different about the transfer case (NP231) between 95 & 96, or is it 95-97? I know the later ones are more prone to vibes (my 98 TJ is all stock, and my 98 ZJ is NP242).

Thanks again.

Your 95 has the fuel filter along the rear frame rail on the driver's side. This changed in 97.

2001XJeep said:
Thanks. I discovered that 94 was the last year for the functional vent windows. I found a place called Mopar Wholesale Parts that stocks the vent windows for $200.00 a side. I will consider installing one on just the driver's side, or maybe not?? My biggest concern with them is vehicle theft. But I do enjoy driving with the vent window open on days that I don't want to use a/c.
WOW.... I'd go to a boneyard if I was you.

I have a 96 that's mostly a 95, guess it's an oddball. I heard there were some issues with the fuel lines at the pump rotting from the inside out. Haven't heard much about it lately, I guess most that were gonna screw up, already have. I often wondered if it wasn't from fuel tank additives, injector cleaner and such, probably used in excess.
All in all the 95-96 is one of the better XJ's. Most ways it seems like they worked many of the bugs out, without changing things, just to be changing things (most of the changes were actual improvements).
I'm thinking of getting another 95, when my Renix goes belly up (if it ever does).

Last edited:
iBran said:
Maybe it was a mid-year thing. Does yours have an airbag?
it may have been a early 95 thing, mine dosnt have the orange seat belt thing, and mine was made 9/94

lilredwagn said:
IIRC, side-impact reinforcement (door brace) was added in '96
In 94 side-impact beams were added in the doors and roof was strengthened. The 3rd brakelight was added to the top of the liftgate.

In 96 the body structure was strengthened some although it was not noticeable in appearance.

As mentioned above, you can retrofit the opening vent windows from any 84-up XJ to the 95. I have a set in mine, very useful when the air conditioning goes bellyup. It is possible with some tweaking and adjustment to get them to seal pretty well. If hunting in the boneyard, make sure that the new ones have healthy bottom hinges. As they age and rust, the spring-loaded bottom pin tends to loosen in the frame where it attaches to the glass. Then the window just flops open.

95 was the last year before the more complex dual cat OBDII; although the 96 did have a slightly strengthened block over the 95. Check the header for cracks and under the passenger side carpet for rust. No complaints as I pass 195K on my 95 and still averaging around 21-24 mpg with the 5speed.

I also fitted earlier year model vent windows in my 96 XJ. I just got ones from an 89 I think, at the salvage yard and painted them, its a cheap and easy swap but I think the vent windows create more wind noise (even when closed). 96 XJ's, have a single cat but it does have a sensor fitting. Its later years that have them on the exhaust manifold.

Back