• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This sucks....axle swap probs

ponyracer1

NAXJA Forum User
Well first off I'm building a 01 classic with 3.55's. D30 front and D35 rear.

Will sit on 33 MT/R's and a 5.5 RE short arm if they ever show up.

Problem is, I'm currently in england and there is NO junkyards that you can just go buy a 8.8, D44, 8.25, D60, 9", taco stuff or any other good axles at.

Here's what I do have access to

Toyota surf and Hilux (4 runner and PU) axles. 90-93 are plentiful (wrong width though), 95.5+ are VERY hard to find.

Isuzu troopers of all years are a dime a dozen.

Mercedies G wagens

A few uni mogs and volvo portal axles (rarely)

I know the older yotas are the wrong width, any way to make them work without hacking up the XJ?
G wagens are fancy and would be nearly impossible to find parts for after I leave, not to mention wheel pattern probs, etc.

Unimogs has a ratio of like 6.70 and this is a daily driver so that realy won't work.

I have a year left here, make do with a slug rear end and ratio till I get back or is there something I can use over here?

Thanks

some izuzus have the D44 in the rear, but I think it may be the aluminum version if you are ok with that

ponyracer1 said:
I have a year left here, make do with a slug rear end and ratio till I get back or is there something I can use over here?

Thanks

I'd do just that. How much are you wheeling it over there anyway...and how hard is it if you do? ;)

It will be wheeled pretty much every weekend this summer, the wheeling over here is primarily mud, grass, slop, and the steep hill climb. They don't have more than about 4 rocks in the country...

I'm thinking of finding a cheap set of 31's on steels for the DD and switch to the 33's for wheeling it.

31's should be alot better for gas mileage and power than 33's on a DD.

Are all the troopers aluminum? Are they junk? Any other axles come under them?

Thanks

He probably has ABS, his being the top-of-the-line XJ. With ABS he'd have the D35.

Why not get a transfercase flip kit, or a Dana 300 and swap the Yota axles in? All yota axles are pass. side drop I think, and that'd solve the problems.

I'd sit on the axle you have now. Use a light foot, and enjoy what you can while you're there.

When you get back home, dig away at the yards.

LilRedRover said:
some izuzus have the D44 in the rear, but I think it may be the aluminum version if you are ok with that
The Trooper (and later model Amigo) D44 is not an aluminum version, (those were in some of the V8 Grand Cherokees) they have 30 spline semi float axles and disc brakes with a six on five and a half wheel pattern......the cover is cast aluminum.......Hans

Ponyracer1, I'm not far from you. West on A14 near Kettering. I've been running 33's for five years on 4.56 D30/D35 in fulltime 4wd with nothing broken so far except UJ's. The mud can be gentle if you are careful but it eats unit bearings! Most D35 breakages over here are in diesels with 231 tcase. Running high torque all day in 2wd on the street. Ford 8.8"s pop up rarely but you are probably in the best place to find one. There are also some LHD 8.25" XJ's in your area on British plates, most don't find their way back to the USA and get sold or scrapped. Charlton's would be a good local Jeep junkyard to try.

Up until last year there was a crowd of servicemen that wheeled regularly with British Jeepers but the regular monthly pub meet fizzled out and I've lost contact with most of them.

Have you been to Wales yet? There are a few more rocks but nothing like the US. Certainly more challenging than the Fens.

Checkout local clubs like www.jeepclub.co.uk and www.j33p.org for weekend events.

ponyracer1 said:
Well first off I'm building a 01 classic with 3.55's. D30 front and D35 rear.

Will sit on 33 MT/R's and a 5.5 RE short arm if they ever show up.

Problem is, I'm currently in england and there is NO junkyards that you can just go buy a 8.8, D44, 8.25, D60, 9", taco stuff or any other good axles at.

Here's what I do have access to

Toyota surf and Hilux (4 runner and PU) axles. 90-93 are plentiful (wrong width though), 95.5+ are VERY hard to find.

Isuzu troopers of all years are a dime a dozen.

Mercedies G wagens

A few uni mogs and volvo portal axles (rarely)

I know the older yotas are the wrong width, any way to make them work without hacking up the XJ?
G wagens are fancy and would be nearly impossible to find parts for after I leave, not to mention wheel pattern probs, etc.

Unimogs has a ratio of like 6.70 and this is a daily driver so that realy won't work.

Thanks

do any of the yard have 60-70 dodge cars?

e body dodge cars came with a dodge 8 3/4" that has a 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern and plenty of backing on gears and detroit and lock right build loclers for them
and spools too.

Id keep the d30 front and jsut build it up or swap in a HP d 30 from earlier

XJnation, thanks for the thought but HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I wish......

Vince try this

http://www.createphpbb.com/mildenhalloffro/index.php?mforum=mildenhalloffro

Well from the research I've done, the trooper 12 bolt is the way to go, I may also be able to find the 44. They never made amigos or rodeos over here but they did make a similar vehicle that should use the same axle.

If I do that, how hard is it to swap the front to 6 lug? What parts do I actually need? I will be swaping in a HP D30 from a mid 90's XJ.

Or is it easier to try to redrill the shafts? What's involved with that?

Thanks for the help guy's

Ponyracer1, Yeah I thought about using a Frontera axle a few years back, I can't remember what the wms-wms dimension is. I'll have a look and see if I saved it somewhere.

If you get the chance to go to Tuff Terrains near Llandrindod Wells make sure you go.

The nissan H233b is a very stout axle, nissan pathfinder right width for an xj and as stout as a dana 60 (or better), lockers are available arb, detroit, etc. but gears are available only through nismo and are atad expensive.

Just came up with another option but I need some help. I'll be travelling to lexington KY next month, anyone in that area? I need a D44 out of an 87 XJ.

Ok anyone have one of these stripped out in the garage? I know there about 60" wide, but what is the weight of the housing?

Here's the plan. Fly into KY and find an axle, strip it to the bare housing and send it parcel post back to england. All I need is the housing and the axles. I can send the axles seperate, so I need to know the weight of the housing. I think parcel post has a 70lb? weight limit but it could also go usps 4th class.

Anyone got any info??

Thanks

ponyracer1 said:
Just came up with another option but I need some help. I'll be travelling to lexington KY next month, anyone in that area? I need a D44 out of an 87 XJ.

Ok anyone have one of these stripped out in the garage? I know there about 60" wide, but what is the weight of the housing?

Here's the plan. Fly into KY and find an axle, strip it to the bare housing and send it parcel post back to england. All I need is the housing and the axles. I can send the axles seperate, so I need to know the weight of the housing. I think parcel post has a 70lb? weight limit but it could also go usps 4th class.

Anyone got any info??

Thanks

Im thinking the housing is more like 100 lbs stripped.........try DHL

Well I just ran across a 00 explorer, they are few and far between over here but they did sell rhd ones evidentally. I have yet to recieve a pic of the axle to confirm the model but I'm pretty sure it'll be an 8.8.

Now the questions start, I've seen alot of good info on mounting them, driveshafts, etc. But what I haven't seen is anything on the ABS in my truck. What problems am I going to get by unhooking it? Any way to fool the comp? Or is there a need to?

Thanks

Does your Jeep have to pass the UK annual inspection (MoT Test)?

My Jeep used to pass it's test with the rear sensors plugged in but tucked away out of sight so not to show an error. Last year it passed without sensors but with black tape over the ABS error lamp and the ABS relay removed.

I have long since replaced my front shafts and no longer have the ABS tone rings fitted. As far as I know, as long as your braking system works well and the tester does not observe an error condition, it will pass. It helps to have a tester that is interested in your truck. I go to the same place every year as they are less likely to fail a mod they have passed in previous years if no faults are found.

I had an interesting situation with my JKS disconnects the first year I had them on. The tester was going to fail my Jeep until I convinced him that the JKS' ability to slide on the pins was necessary for articulation as without it the anti-sway bar would be under excessive stress when one wheel was in full droop and the other in full stuff. I didn't tell him that the links are removable for off-road use and it's passed five years in a row since.

Back