• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I am sure you have seen this before.... AXLE SWAP!

FireghostXJ

NAXJA Forum User
HP d30, all stock and 8.25 all stock wanting to switch to FW 1 ton axles.
My question is how do I know which year 1 tons I have? How do I know what gears are inside and what spline count they have? How do I know if they are full floaters or semi-floaters?

I picked up a set of d60 axles from an F250 full width, 8000# Ramsey winch, and brand new 35" bfg's on 16.5 alum, 8 lug wheels for FREE!!!

Does anyone know of someone who makes an alum bead lock? These wheels dont have bead locks. If I cannot air down, then whats the point in building a rock crawler?

you dont need beadlocks to air down, 99% of the people i wheel with including myself dont run beadlocks and regularly run 10-15psi. i typically run 12.
you'll probably want to pop off the diff covers to see what the ratio is and to see if there's a locker. if there's no locker, then pull the shafts and carrier to see what spline you have. chances are you're going to need to order 2 lockers, 2 sets of gears, and 2 install kits, which is about $2000, give or take. then you'll need them installed which is another 300-700 depending on who does it.
you may want to ditch the 16.5 rims, i think those will limit your tire choices in the future. if you sell them now, you'll loose less money as you probably wont even be able to give them away once the tires are worn.

I dont have locks, would be nice, but i go to 8-12 psi if Im airing down. I run a 8 inch wheel on a 12.5 tire.
Dan's right, sell those wheels and tires before you just have wheels.
If you want to know if the rear axle is full float its easy.

does the rear axle hub look like this? If so then you have a full float axle (aka FF)
131_9902_02_o131_9902_dana_60_vs_gm_14_boltfull_floater_axle.jpg

Back