• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modified Track Bar and Bracket

Zebaru

NAXJA Member #938
I am trying to run a MORE type steering conversion with very little lift. I have already raised the axle end trackbar mount, and am in the process of figuring out what to do about the frame side. The picture shows where I am right now...

track_bar_1.jpg

The angle is pretty much the same a the drag link, and the length is a bit shorter, but about as long as I can reasonably get. As it sits in this picture, the track bar just kisses the front cover, and the tie rod just scrapes on the bolt head. If I move the bolt location 1/2" to the driver side, the clearance on the cover opens up a good bit, but I would have to start clearancing the original TB bracket a good bit.

So, finally to the questions.

Should I be worried about removing 1/2" or so from the pass facing side of the bottom of the trackbar bracket?

The new bracket is cut from a piece of .188 wal 2x4, and would be fully welded along the three sides in and out. Is this going to be stong enough or should I redesign? What if I also run a rib/gusset down the back side?

Travis

it would help if you put your coils back in, then we could see it at normal ride height. As that stands, your steering looks all kinds of messed up right now. Your trackbar mount shouldn't be anywhere near your diff. This may be a dumb question, but you do realize you need coils in there right?

Chris

If you have room between the track bar mount and the tie rod, thenyou can use the TNT track bar and mount that moves this foward to miss the axle. I looks like it would be in the same position as if you mounted the track bar outside the mount you have now to the front, if this fits then buy it, I will be doing this next month.

and is that C-clamp just temporarily holding your trackbar bracket in place? Please say yes.

Chris

ckh550 said:
and is that C-clamp just temporarily holding your trackbar bracket in place? Please say yes.

Chris
haha i thought thats how it mounts?lol
why did you take your coils off to upgrade steering? you shoulf have completed the lift then did the steering...

skyjackedxj96 said:
haha i thought thats how it mounts?lol
why did you take your coils off to upgrade steering? you shoulf have completed the lift then did the steering...

x2... if you adjust the steering without the coils in you're just making more work for yourself... you'll have to readjust it all when it's lifted back up.

Nobody mentioned the two sizes too small grade nothing bolt holding the drag link to the pitman arm. Or the tacked on shock mounts. Or all the missing diff cover bolts. Or the driveshaft sitting on the ground. Or...

Seriously guys, this is a mock-up. How else would a person go about making a custom track bar (or custom anything for that matter)- measure real good and hope it works? A lot of things are tacked or clamped in place... No springs means I can cycle the suspesion fully and see where I have interference. The picture is with the bumpstops just starting to touch. Normal ride height (stock or maybe +1") will be some four to five inches lower.

The stock trackbar goes well in front of the diff (and is very close to it at stock height BTW...), which I cannot do because the tie rod has been moved up and in, and would interfere with it in that position. Things are tight in there, and it took me several iterations just to (barely) get rid of all the interference.

Because of the raised tie rod, no aftermarket bracket that I know of will work without serious bumpstop. I have just enough clearance between the axle and tie rod for this one that is 2" wide outside. With this setup I get almost full stock uptravel, which I want. However, having never seen it done this way before, I wanted to make sure my modified bracket sounded like it was going to work.

So to answer all the questions:

• Yes I know I am supposed to have coils
  • An aftermarket bracket will not fit
  • The C-clamp is temporary
  • 0-1" lift. (Why do I need more bumpstop if I have no interference?)
  • The coils were not taken off, they were never on. This is a mock up. (and there is no lift...)

I know you guys don't know me but I am not an idiot - seriously...
Just trying to fit a trackbar in a tight space.

Travis

gotcha, looks like the trackbar is not gonna run parallel with the draglink hard to tell when its sitin on bumpstops like that- is that a drop pitman ?

The draglink and track bar run pretty close to parallel. Well, they are when you look at them from the front anyway. I would have to lower the track bar frame end or raise the axle end about 1/2" to get them perfect. If I get bad steering as a result of it being off this much I will be suprised, but I can always adjust later if necessary...

That is a stock pitman arm BTW.

Travis

jjvande said:
bumpstop compression

If you are saying that there will be more uptravel as the bumpstops compress, I am aware of that, and will add spacers to limit uptravel as necessary. I suspect I will need at least an inch, but no more than two to ensure no interference. That may be something I have to fine tune when I get my shocks anyway...

Travis

Back