• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 xj Lift Install - Tires rubbing

92xjdean

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I just installed the rough country 3" lift with the new lower control arms, new coils, new shocks (front and back) new add a leaf in the rear with 31" x 10.5" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains on 15x10 Rock Crawler wheels. The tires are rubbing the fender flares and wheel wells.

Now, before you beat me up too bad with technical critique on any combinations, I just ask that you make it constructive. I'm new to this and I want to learn, so please help me out. First, I think the wheels are too wide......second, I never knew about backspacing on a wheel or anything like it. I think my problem may be backspacing. My guess is that the backspacing of the wheel brings it in under the wheel well, thus, taking it away from rubbing? So, my thoughts are that I have the wrong wheels and I need some backspaced wheels to fix my problem. OK, now please let me know your thoughts. Thanks guys...I love this website.

p.s. I have pics, how do you post?????

Dean

Last edited:
10" rims with 10.5" tires? Yeah, your rims are too wide for starters. Stock rims will be fine or some 15x7's with about 5" backspace..

How is this OEM Tech?

Look, give us newbies a break. I posted to the wrong forum, I know that now.

Yucca-Man said:
10" rims with 10.5" tires? Yeah, your rims are too wide for starters. Stock rims will be fine or some 15x7's with about 5" backspace..

How is this OEM Tech?

he also tried to help.

is it rubbing on the road? does it do it offroad with the sway bar connected? those 10" wheels probably have too little backspacing bringing them out. to run 31s on 3" of lift you need to either add bumpstops or trim the fenders.

Ramsey said:
he also tried to help.

is it rubbing on the road? does it do it offroad with the sway bar connected? those 10" wheels probably have too little backspacing bringing them out. to run 31s on 3" of lift you need to either add bumpstops or trim the fenders.

The 10" wheel has 3.75" of backspacing. I think I need a 15x8 wheel with about 3.75" backspacing and I will be fine. I am just looking for someone, if they know, to give me an answer on backspacing. Or if they have installed the Rough Country 3" kit if they had the same issue, what size wheel did they use etc.....????

Is there a chart or something to look at? The tires are hitting with about 1/2" of their tread when I turn left or right, on pavement. I haven't taken it off road yet and I dont want to until I clear the rubbing issue up.

Thanks.....and yes I realize the last guy tried to help, didn't mean anything by my comments. Thanks again.

is it hitting on the lower part of the front fender? easy fix is to cut that off even with the bumper like the 97+ xjs, yeah 15x8 with around 4" backspacing would be much better.

A helpful hint. Backspacing is the distance from the wheel mating surface to the inside edge of the rim. More backspacing moves the tire in, less moves it outward.

Thanks, yes it is hitting right where you said. I got these wheels on sale and I doubt they will take them back, they were ordered off of the internet. Oh well, live and learn! I will probably go with the 15x8 with the 4" backspacing.......thanks for the comments.

Ramsey said:
is it hitting on the lower part of the front fender? easy fix is to cut that off even with the bumper like the 97+ xjs, yeah 15x8 with around 4" backspacing would be much better.

I have the exact same lift on my 90. Im running 32x11.50 bfg's with a cragar 15 x 8 soft 8 rim. 15X8 with 4 inches of backspacing and they dont rub unless im really wheelin it. i have pics if you need them , i can send them to your email.

Dustin

I also have the same life and 31x10.5 BFG AT on factory rims, I only rub on the front on the new LCA's during lock to lock, and rub the rea wheel wells with lots of weight/pulling trailer.

I have the same lift also but my problem is that my wheels are too far in. I have stock rims on a 92 and my tires rub up against the rear sway bar. So you do want to keep some wheel on the outside.

Dustinyork said:
I have the exact same lift on my 90. Im running 32x11.50 bfg's with a cragar 15 x 8 soft 8 rim. 15X8 with 4 inches of backspacing and they dont rub unless im really wheelin it. i have pics if you need them , i can send them to your email.

Dustin

Email address sent to you..........

Back