• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This doesn't look good. So what now? (gears)

basalt51

NAXJA Member #761
First things first, Dynatrac HPD44 4.88 gears, lockout hubs.

Changing the gear oil today and noticed waaaay to much metalic paste, and big ole flakes so I took a closer look inside. The gray on the walls is metalic paste. I know basically nothing about working on gears. What is that piece, what would it take to replace it (do I have to "setup" the geras again?), and will it hurt much if I just leave it and change the fluid often.

p2.JPG

p4.JPG

p10.JPG

If the ring gear and pinion gear dont have any missing pieces or damage, then all you need is bearings. If theres that much metal in the bottom, the pinion and carrier bearings are shot as well. An install kit and labor shouldnt run much more than $250 or $300 since its just replacing bearings. If the gears are shot, then your talking in the $500 range. Also just cleaning out the metal and changing out the fluid will only make the cost of repair higher in the end.

AARON

Thanks guys. I'ld call dynatrac but I boght it used a few years ago. I did notice a little bit a metalic shavings at that time, but could see any problems and they were microscopic. Oh well. Time to learn how to setup gears I guess :) Luckily the ring and pinion look fine atm.

ask yourself this. is there any noise or vibration in the axle? after a lengthy drive do you notice exesive heat when you touch the diff cover? what color was the oil when draining?
My first impression is that I notice the pinion apears to be a little deep. obviously the ring gear made contact with the oil slinger. you can see that on the slinger around the OD. you see the little feathered marks. those are from contact with the ring gear. and looking at the wear on the pinion gear itself also indicates an incorrect pinion depth. but to confirm I need to see the ring gear with a little marking compound on it.

How is the pinion seal? is it wet? If so then I would seriously question the outer pinion bearing.

being that its a front axle with hubs it doesn't get much use, which means that more than likely, Dickwade at Dynatrac that setup the gears didn't care about a perfect pattern because it wasn't ment for the hwy so its howl would never be heard. Time is money so he just tossed it together in 40 mins..

if all you do is change the oil and don't touch it then as long as the bearings are good then don't mess with it.

Have fun!!!

Rawbrown said:
ask yourself this. is there any noise or vibration in the axle? after a lengthy drive do you notice exesive heat when you touch the diff cover? what color was the oil when draining?
My first impression is that I notice the pinion apears to be a little deep. obviously the ring gear made contact with the oil slinger. you can see that on the slinger around the OD. you see the little feathered marks. those are from contact with the ring gear. and looking at the wear on the pinion gear itself also indicates an incorrect pinion depth. but to confirm I need to see the ring gear with a little marking compound on it.

How is the pinion seal? is it wet? If so then I would seriously question the outer pinion bearing.

being that its a front axle with hubs it doesn't get much use, which means that more than likely, Dickwade at Dynatrac that setup the gears didn't care about a perfect pattern because it wasn't ment for the hwy so its howl would never be heard. Time is money so he just tossed it together in 40 mins..

if all you do is change the oil and don't touch it then as long as the bearings are good then don't mess with it.

Have fun!!!

I've never noticed vibration or noise from the axle, even when I have left the hubs locked on the road. I haven't checked it for heat so I'm not sure about that. The oil looked practically new, except for the gray metal paste at the bottom. When the rain stops I'll look at the seal, but I've never noticed it leaking. I've already put it back to egther for my snow run next week. If there are rivers flowing behind me I"ll know its getting a little hot :D

To further corroborate the "thrown together" theory, this was Brad Kilby's axle, so maybe he got a really good "deal" from dynatrac and I'm sure they new it would be trailered and really never see the street.

Thanks again everyone.

Hey Basalt51- Kilby wants you to send him an email. He says he has something you will want to have. kilby at dehesa4x4.com.
Brad (but not that Brad)

ECKSJAY said:
Please explain.

rawbrown said:

Im betting this also, it was not correctly set up to begin with and as the gears set in the slinger has been scraping the gears since.

Back