• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 axle swap - dirty details?

tkotitan

NAXJA Forum User
I am strongly considering swapping out the rear axle this year in my '94 4.0L 2dr XJ SE. It currently has the Chrysler axle but I am sick of drum brakes and will probably have to do rear brakes this year. I figure the 8.8 Axle swap is the cheapest way to get disc brakes and upgrade my rig at the same time.

I am VERY poor right now so everything in my budget must be thoroughly planned well in advance. So I am pleading with you guys to help me think of all the parts and issues needed to do this job so I can cover the cost.

First I need to shop for my part. I currently have 3.07 gears so I will be looking for an 8.8 with 3.08 gears. I have no idea how hard it is to find one in good shape that has those gears and disc brakes. But as I understand it, the info for the axle is usually with the part so the junk yards can help me.

I won't be swapping gears since they match. I have to decide if I want one with a built-in locker or not. I don't do much off-roading anymore, just occasionally on light trails for fun maybe once or twice a year. This is daily driver and I live in Vermont, home of the poorest roads you can imagine - many dirt, always winding, hilly or winding and hilly. And roads are often unevenly paved or even reverse banked. This is my daily driving situation. So I am thinking for comfort (and safety's) sake I should avoid an axle with a locker. Does this make sense? I want responsiveness and smooth handling when I come around a blind hill on a corner.

I know I will need e-brake lines and probably have to buy them separate. What other parts might I need to get the job done, such as hardware connecting to the drive shaft?

My XJ obviously has rear leaf springs. Should I look for an axle that is setup for leafs instead of coils or is that really an issue?

I realize brakes have to be re-setup. As I understand it, the e-brake adjusts the front-to-rear braking balance with every use so is there some trick to keep that working correctly?

Are the any other parts or hardware I will need? Something I am not thinking of?

Lastly, how long should it take an experienced mechanic to do the swap. I figure it's fairly easy with a lift and tools but correct me if I am wrong. I would guesstimate 4 hours labor.

Thanks!

Last edited:
8.8 w/discs out of an explorer
it will need:
spring perches removed, new ones welded on in the right place for XJ leafs.
Shock mounts removed and new ones welded on for XJ shocks.
1310 flange adapter for driveshaft, or a 1310-1330 conversion joint for your driveshaft
Lokar sells a kit to convert your e-brake cables to the right style for the 8.8, or you can use the explorer cables.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1100847&page=2

I don't mean to be a dick - I'm speaking as somebody who has been on food stamps at one time - but if you don't have the money, don't make your Jeep a hobby. I've been there and done that. It will probably just add to your overall stress level (less money + custom cars = custom problems) and the money is likely better spent elsewhere.
Just a thought and again, I'm not judging - just speaking from my own experience...

I don't mean to be a dick - I'm speaking as somebody who has been on food stamps at one time - but if you don't have the money, don't make your Jeep a hobby. I've been there and done that. It will probably just add to your overall stress level (less money + custom cars = custom problems) and the money is likely better spent elsewhere.
Just a thought and again, I'm not judging - just speaking from my own experience...

Actually no you hit the nail on the head. Thanks to all the other posters though I wanted to break my own illusions that this is a "quick" custom job. As long as my rear axle isn't broke, I should not fix it. Since the only justification for this is brakes.

I figure with the money I could save with this job I could order online and get a good deal on top grade Raybestos brakes and my friend who is handy can help me do brakes. Even though I am broke, my attitude is that when things break I should upgrade because I don't want them to break again. So if my alternator goes I will consider a Mean Green. But in this case I don't need an axle.

My rig has a lot of life left in it if I can keep the rust monster at bay.

look for writeups on swapping your 8.25 to disk brakes out of a JY.

liberty brakes are a direct swap afaik, and ZJ discs can be swapped with some work.

If your looking at upgrading brakes look into the blackmagic brakes, lots of people highly recommend them. Those are what I'm going to be switching to when my brakes come due.

I wanted to upgrade axles too. I waited till I found an XJ from the factory with 4.10s. I grabbed the front for $150 at a junkyard. Then I shop for Explorer axles and found an 8.8 with 4.10s for another $150. Then I paid a guy $100 to set up new perches on the 8.8. Lastly I got Wrangler Rubicon take off shocks for $20 on craigslist.

Long story short, I was able to upgrade to what I wanted to for very cheaply, but it took a long time to search for the right parts before I pulled the trigger. It is possible to do. Just start collecting parts when they become available and when the money is there. Don't be in a hurry.

You can buy a set of spring perches from Ruff Stuff for $34.00. You can also cut the shock mounts off your 8.25 and weld them onto your 8.8. The U bolts and spring plates (from an explorer) can be reused, best to cut off the shock mounts from the plates. The Jeep e-brake cables will work; just form a loop over the actuating arm at the axle and secure with a cable clamp from the hardware store. You might want to leave the yoke alone if you aren't familiar with resetting the pinion preload and use a 1310-1330 U joint as someone stated above. Only possible issue may be driveshaft length.

Actually no you hit the nail on the head. Thanks to all the other posters though I wanted to break my own illusions that this is a "quick" custom job. As long as my rear axle isn't broke, I should not fix it. Since the only justification for this is brakes.

I figure with the money I could save with this job I could order online and get a good deal on top grade Raybestos brakes and my friend who is handy can help me do brakes. Even though I am broke, my attitude is that when things break I should upgrade because I don't want them to break again. So if my alternator goes I will consider a Mean Green. But in this case I don't need an axle.

My rig has a lot of life left in it if I can keep the rust monster at bay.

For the love of god, forget the mean green... think shit out more, or you will remain poor.

Alternators, like many other things, dont magically last forever because you paid too much for it... Instead, buy an alternator from a parts store that has a lifetime warranty, and only use 1 phone number to link your warrantied purchases.

You can buy a set of spring perches from Ruff Stuff for $34.00. You can also cut the shock mounts off your 8.25 and weld them onto your 8.8. The U bolts and spring plates (from an explorer) can be reused, best to cut off the shock mounts from the plates. The Jeep e-brake cables will work; just form a loop over the actuating arm at the axle and secure with a cable clamp from the hardware store. You might want to leave the yoke alone if you aren't familiar with resetting the pinion preload and use a 1310-1330 U joint as someone stated above. Only possible issue may be driveshaft length.

The 8.8 uses a flat flange bolted to the pinion. The u-joint attaches to what is called a companion flange which is held to the pinion flange with bolts, so no messing around with pinion preload. I know that the companion flanges can be found in a junkyard in both 1310 & 1330 joint sizes depending on their factory application.

The 8.8 uses a flat flange bolted to the pinion. The u-joint attaches to what is called a companion flange which is held to the pinion flange with bolts, so no messing around with pinion preload. I know that the companion flanges can be found in a junkyard in both 1310 & 1330 joint sizes depending on their factory application.

My mistake. I should have said the 1310-1330 U joint adapts the explorer companion flange to the jeep driveshaft. Thanks for catchin' my brain fart.

About to swap in a Ford 8.8 myself. I found the axle for 175. I've already spent 470 on an LSD carrier, another 130 on ring and pinion, and I can't remember how much on the seal rebuild kit, as well as the swap kit. Probably another 200 or so? Expensive upgrade. After all is said and done, including a new brake job for the 8.8, it will be a grand before it is in. I did our TJ last year and threw an ARB air locker in it. Good luck! You'll love it!

Back