• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15-Hurst Shifter? Hey Jes!

XJCHUCK72 said:
Having trouble shifting, would the Hurst Shifter help or not, or if you read the OEM post, should I look at a rebuild or replace it.

TIA
I have a Hurst shifter on my AX-15, it doesn't help with the hard shifting or grinding, it just does it with 33% less shifter throw :)

No, the shifter won't fix your problem. FWIW, my AX15 only grinds when going into reverse sometimes. I usually have to double clutch it. First and second gear "crunch" sometimes but that's about it. I use Redline MTL in my AX15 and it seems to work well.
And, a update on the Hurst shifter. I love it, it makes wheeling so much better because I can change gears quicker and the throws are nice, short, and precise. I'm really happy with it.

Jes

Eagle, suggested some Moly tranny fluid, looks like LawnCher is going to buy a case and split it up. If that doesn't seem to help, I'll try the Redline, since it doesn't have the GL5. I'll just have to do the double clutching thing, fortunately I have no trouble with it, when I'm going slow. I think I'll look into the Hurst Shifter or plan on a NV4500.

Has anyone lost there AX-15 yet, or has it gotten so bad they had to replace it?

I'd certainly try bleeding the clutch to eliminate that as the cause. Some air in the system will cause shifting problems, specifically grinding and hard to get into gear.

With that out of the way, experiment with shifts at different RPM's. Assuming mine is typical, you will find some sweet spots in the RPM range for each gear where it will slip into gear easier. Sometimes, more that one sweet spot.

If you grind going into reverse, try shifting into a forward gear before going into reverse. I never shift into reverse direct from neutral.

Back