• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aftermarket seats and factory belts

rocwrlr

NAXJA Forum User
the driver seat in my 99 Xj is about 5 good left turns from ending up in the back seat, so new seats are in order. ive got my eye on some mastercraft rubicon seats and obviously some 5 point harnesses. my question is can i still safely use my factory belt with the mastercraft seat? this would give me time to get a cage, possibly D and C, modify so the seats are mounted in the cage and properly mount some 5-point harnesses. thanks in advance.

personally i wouldnt go $ma$tercraft$, i like the corbeau baja seats, same "suspension" concept and they are similar in looks also, but the baja's cost alot less.

Rubicon----------------------------------------------$329.95

http://www.mastercraftseats.com/store/home.html?lang=en-us&target=p37.html?lmd=38426.334722

Baja ---------------------------------------------------- $159 (Black and Grey, All Vinyl)
•$169 (Black and Grey, Vinyl & Cloth Combo)
•$199 (Red, Blue, Yellow, Tan)

http://corbeau.com/products/baja/baja.shtml

How about considering an upgrade to 99 - 04 Grand Cherokee seats instead. They are bolt in for your year model. I just bought a set of 03 Grand Leather seats on EBay for $100 to replace my tweaked up '98 stock cloth seats. Even with a $95 shipping cost to get them across country, this was a whole lot cheaper than even seat covers.

All you have to do is remove the stock seat bases/sliders from your stock seats, and bolt them up to the Grand Cherokee seats. It's a direct fit.

Ivan

I just installed the corbeau ultra ss seats in my 00. The seat brackets you can get from them come with the proper holes to mount your seat belt to. I dont know how much lift you got but the high bolsters can be a real pita when getting in and out, but once your in you will be happy.

olympic4x4tech said:
I just installed the corbeau ultra ss seats in my 00. The seat brackets you can get from them come with the proper holes to mount your seat belt to. I dont know how much lift you got but the high bolsters can be a real pita when getting in and out, but once your in you will be happy.
Same here. LOVE the ultra SS's in my 96. I also went with the 3-point Corbeau harnesses instead of 5-point. I mounted the rear harness attachment over the B-pillar crossbar in the cage to the triangulation. The inside mounting point went to the stock seatbelt mounting location and the outside mount went to a tab on the cage.

here are some pics of how the Corbeau Ultra SS's sit in the cage. Also is a pic of how I attached the harnesses to the cage. I can grab a "finished" pic later, if you want... I've added a few minor pieces to the cage to finish it off including a rack for the spare.

cage_harness_01.jpg

cage_harness_02.jpg

I've been very happy with my PRP Daily Driver. I still use the stock belt on the highway and then I have 3" lap belts from a 5 point harness for the trail. I've got everything bolted through the original bolts and the console side belts actually fit in the console, the outer ends sit on the floor next to the seats.

so i called a local dealer about the corbeau baja ultra SS seats today and was told that they wouldn't fit due to the trans tunnel, and that the seats and the adaptors would add around 5 inches to the height compared to stock. just based off formatts pics that can't be true.
i like the extra seat back height and width of the ultra, and the price can't be beat as i can now get both seats done at once. so here are the part numbers ive got.

LF adaptor: E1124
RF adaptor: E1125
Baja adaptors: A22002F
and don't forget the seats: http://www.corbeau.com/products/ultra/ultra.shtml

does everything look correct? if so the order is going in tommorrow.

I'm running PRP seats (similar to Beard DD seats.) I mounted them to the stock seat base using only some angle iron, it is very solid and I like the adjustability.
They do take a bit more effort to get into and out of, but the comfort can't be beat. Also, I use the stock seat belts with no problem.
In regards to Formatt's approach to the mounting of his belts, you MUST make sure you keep the tie in for your shoulder mounts as close to your shoulder heighth as possible, I wouldn't go any lower than 2" below your shoulders.
Explantion, If you have a head on collision, and you are jolted forward, you do not want your belts to be able to push down on your shoulder hard enough to collapse your spine....the lower the mount the greater the possibility of this happening. I believe all race type restaining systems will have this warning printed in the packaging.
On another note, have you tried the high end package Cherokee seats?
I would be running them if I could have found some when I was replacing my basic model high back seats....very comfortable!
Best of luck!~
Rick R:sunshine:

rocwrlr said:
so i called a local dealer about the corbeau baja ultra SS seats today and was told that they wouldn't fit due to the trans tunnel, and that the seats and the adaptors would add around 5 inches to the height compared to stock. just based off formatts pics that can't be true.
i like the extra seat back height and width of the ultra, and the price can't be beat as i can now get both seats done at once. so here are the part numbers ive got.

LF adaptor: E1124
RF adaptor: E1125
Baja adaptors: A22002F
and don't forget the seats: http://www.corbeau.com/products/ultra/ultra.shtml

does everything look correct? if so the order is going in tommorrow.
That's absolutely incorrect. My seats are proof that the Ultra's indeed do fit. Also, I'm also running the adapters. The only thing you should be aware of is that the sides of the Ultra's are higher than the standard Baja SS's. I use my cage to pull myself in OVER the sides of the seats so I don't crush them, getting in. Looks like you have everything..

Rick R... You're absolutely right. The instructions that come with the Corbeau harnesses are great. The only thing that may throw you off is that they state: Never anchor straight down behind the back. If you're using a crossbar, that'll shift the pressure point from your shoulders/seats to the crossbar.

No fit-up issues with mine.
0603997-r1-046-21a.jpg

freerider15 said:
Hey Matt, could ya post up or PM me some pics of your cage with the finishing touches?(as well Im curious about how the C-pillar is tied in/braced to the floor)... Going the D&C route and wanna get some ideas.

x2

well after about 4 weeks of back order my new Baja Ultra SS seats and adaptors arrived one day early. i have to say they are awesome. they fit prefect with the console. my only grip is the factory belt with the seat. the side bolster covers the entire seat belt lock, making latching the belt a pain. the seats are definatly worth every penny though. the brackets are real nice and everything bolted right up. making this the easiest project so far.

sorry about the phone pics. ill try to get some better clearance pics of the console and belts with a real camera.

seats31du.jpg

sorry about bring this thread back from the dead.just got better pics of the installed seats.

000000095op.jpg

000000083zb.jpg

000000074ej.jpg

000000068cr.jpg

any chance those are the wide version? my fat ass wont fit into the standard ones, the wide ones are an inch wider but it looks like that could be just enough to not fit. how much higher is the seat compared to stock?

as far as height of the seat back and bottom compared to stock they feel the same, just angled back a bit. once they were in I could see out of the mirrors exactly as i could with the factory seats. as far as the width i got the regular baja seats and not the wide. im 6'2, 210# and they fit me pretty snug.

i'm a couple inches taller and a good bit thicker. i'm actually wanting to find some seats that are wide enough that i fit comfortably and can install to be an inch or two lower than stock.

Back