• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did some searching found nothing on an extra 8 Gallon Fuel Tank???

8dDUCE

NAXJA Forum User
I was talking to Chrysler today about my vehicle build sheet. I was told My XJ, has an extra 8 gallon tank, with the stock 20 tank??? I have two customer packages 2TE, and 26E. My jeep was also bought through a perfered customer???? What is the Deluxe Insolation Group, compared to a Standard Group? And I though Ford Had some weird options for Mustangs ;) Scott.

You only have a 20 gal tank,The Deluxe insolation is a blanket under the hood.What gas you got was an extra amount from the factory for shipping,not a larger tank.The "prefered package may have been only a cigar lighter or some other usless item.
Wayne

In the early years (at least through 1988) the standard tank was 12 gallons, and the 20 gallon tank was an option. Later they dropped the 12 gallon tank and all XJs came with the 20 gallon tank. They looked the same from the outside.

The 12 gallon tanks were under AMC. When Chrysler took over there was a lot of mucking about with the build codes. I have been compiling build sheet codes (on a sporadic basis) and I've found that when you get a build sheet for an AMC XJ from DaimlerChrysler, some of the descriptions for the codes make zero sense. I suspect that somehow your build sheet has picked up a code left over from the AMC days that indicates the "optional" 20 gallon tank.

It was just the fill spout going into the tank that was different. Due to CA emission requirements, they were supposed to keep a 20% air pocket (same thing they require for LPG tanks now)

Back