• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pismo!!

Jump This

Just another minion!
Heading out of the heat for a while...first stop is Pismo Dunes!!I have never been there before and am looking forward to it...even if the Cherokee sucks in the sand (don't know yet) I plan on kickin'it and just relaxing!!! Has anyone here taken there jeep to Pismo before? Let me know how you liked it if you have...
After Pismo....Yosemite!!

Pismo

I have a blast up in Pismo. My Cherokee does really well in the sand provided I am aired down enough. Might not have the V8 power but pulls its weight well. When are you heading up there?

Joe

You'll have fun in Pismo with the XJ. I have more fun with the stroker motor now than before, but stock motor was good too. Keep in mind on the dunes straight up & straight down. If you find yourself in a harry situation go after the go pedal not the brake. Put the air pressure in the tires as low as you comfortably can & you'll drive anywhere you want to. Have fun & don't forget to honk as you drive through the central valley. See ya Rusty

Matt

jump this....how about joining us at swamp lake run??? the highs around 70. and the lows around 40...that should be cool enough! pismo is fun but real ltd area now.....join us, then off to yosemite.:)

Please be very careful out there, my co-workers 9 year old son was killed last weekend by a drunk 17 year old on a motorbike.

Keep your kids tethered, and an eye peeled for crazy teenagers.

CRASH

Been there, done that!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

CRASH is right, there is a lot of drunken yahoos concentrated in a small area at Pismo. Be carefull! Ther farther away from the ocean the better off you are.

Heading out this Sunday and will be there for the week. Had suggested to the wife about the swamp lake trip....didn't get past 'How about not going to Pismo...' before she wacked me on the noogin!!
We are always very careful in the sand (Gordons well and Glamis) it only takes a moment for some idiot to destroy a life...Handlebars I hope to have my own pics. to post when we get back my wife got a kick out of your photos..
By the way...whos fenders are you running Handelbars? I just took my stockers and raised them about two inches..I am not entirely happy with the look (lower gap on the body contour)
Rusty Monkey

Sorry, forgot that you're the sand rail builder. You probably have a bunch more experience on dunes than I do. If you're expecting Glamis type dune running you'll be very disappointed, but the ocean adds a whole different feel. There are lots of idiots, a lot more than Glamis. The scope & difficulty of the dunes in Glamis weed out the high school kids with jacked up trucks. They can't go to Glamis so they head to Pismo. Man I haven't been down to Glamis in a looong time. I need to get back down there one of these years.

Matt

There are lots of idiots, a lot more than Glamis.
Now that scares the bejeezzers out of me!! I only visit Glamis every now and again since it was over-run by drunk punks. I am hoping it will be a bit more subdued during our visit. We won't be arriving until Sunday afternoon and will not be camping on the beach. I think we are going there mostly to say we have been there. Will not be taking any of the buggies, just the Jeep and my sons YZ 125. I am thinking about asking the boy if he wouldn't mind leaving the bike behind.......don't think I'll have much chance at that. But we are aware (even more so now!) that it is not the safest place to play in the sand. I am hoping our experience in the dunes will at least make us more aware of what is happening around us.
Thanks to all for the advice...if anyone is going to be near Pismo during the week and would like to drop by...let me know and I will give you my cell # and we could hook up for some clam chowder!!

It's not the amount of idiots... it's the concentration. Glamis is sooo big that it's easy to get back into the dunes away from some of the idiots. Pismo has been closed down to 6 miles of beach so everybody is cramped in together. Since you're going over late in the weekend & during the weekday you'll find it pretty much deserted. Not being a holiday weekend also helps. My image is a little off since I spent the July fourth weekend over there. :shock: Don't let us scare you, take the bike & enjoy one of the last drivable beaches in the US. Remember to wash the toys off after playing or you really will become a rusty monkey. ;)

Matt

You know the amazing thing about drunk punks is they can't get much past the first series or rows of dunes. And you are right about just getting a bit into the dunes before you leave them behind. I certainly am not exspecting Glamis type duning..if I were I would be bringing my buggies and DEFINANTLY be stopping by your place to hijack you for a run!! Speaking of that..I always spend Thanksgiving and New Years in the dunes and would love to have you come on out...if its been a while for you I promise I would be gentle the first time!!! THEN we would take to the AIR!!
Rusty

I've never been to Glamis on New Years, but spent several Thanksgivings sitting on a Dune behind Comp hill, watching the magnesium fires on top of the hill & stareing in awe of the thousands of people down in the bowl. This at 14-16 years of age. Talk about crazy. My dad & I through a 480cc dirt bike engine in an old 250R three wheeler so he could play with the big boys down there. We even had a rail for a couple years with a 2180 vw on laughing gas. Come to think of it, what happened to me. I go from super speed demon to watching the turtles pass me up on the trail cause now it's cool to crawl. I've still got that 480cc bike, just need to tune it up. ;) Thanks for the invite. I might just take you up on that.

Matt

Matt you should bring your entire clan down. We have a great time with some great people...I'll bug you more as it starts to cool down in the dez and I start to get the sand itch again...

Back