• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 xj belt question

Dustinyork

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 cherokee , 4.0 auto with a/c and i have noticed that my belt is loose , does the cherokee have an adjustable tensioner like an older chevey 4x4 That u can loosen and just pry over to tighten ?or do they have a bolt in belt tensioner that needs to be replaced when the belt starts to loosen ? Thanks

Dustin

Dustinyork said:
I have a 1990 cherokee , 4.0 auto with a/c and i have noticed that my belt is loose , does the cherokee have an adjustable tensioner like an older chevey 4x4 That u can loosen and just pry over to tighten ?or do they have a bolt in belt tensioner that needs to be replaced when the belt starts to loosen ? Thanks

Dustin
Yeah they do and if you look here you should be able to find more info. IIRC you have to loosen three bolts before you can adjust the tension.

Just follow the great pictures otto sent you to, and you'll be all set.

If you're planning on owning this Jeep for awhile, I'd recommend pulling all the bolts out, ONE AT A TIME, and lubing them up real good with a quality anti-sieze compound. It'll make the next change (or adjustment) much easier. I had to take all my stuff apart at once, to change out a bad water pump and PS pump, so I went a little nuts with mine...

One note I wish someone had warned ME of, when I did mine last...

Be very careful with the bolts near the top (that pass through the aluminum "frame", into the intake manifold). The manifold is also aluminum, and the threads can strip pretty easily if you really yard on the wrench tightening things back up. I stripped both holes, and had to drill everything out, and re-tap the manifold to a more-common SAE thread. (the originals are metric, and sometimes difficult to find replacements for- depending on your local hardware supplier). You don't need to loosen these just to change the belt, but I "pooched" mine trying to do the right thing, and lubing things up while I was re-installing everything else.

Please be careful in adjusting the initial (or "new") tension- use the "search" function, because the subject has been over-covered elsewhere, and it's where I learned the right way to do this! It really IS easy just to change the belt- just be careful, and look closely at the pictures. Before you turn the key for the first time, look over each and every pulley, and make sure that the belt is fully INSIDE each pully, or all your efforts will be ripped apart when you turn the key- please don't ask how I know how IMPORTANT this is. I've screwed up a few belts learning the hard way.

Seconding George, I'll add that it's not always obvious which bolts need to be loosened. Something I thought of later but never did - if you do take out the bolts as suggested, identify which ones are actually required to adjust and paint the heads red or white or something. I find I'm always loosening one I don't need to and missing one I do.

I'll third the "not always obvious which bolts need to be loosened." Man-Oh-man I loosened every bolt to figure out which ones were doing what!

Also as mention use anti-sieze on all threads.

Back