• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

big tires on a Dana 30

linkednlocked

NAXJA Forum User
hey I just got a set of 40's and i have the clearance and power so I want to try em out atleast once. has anyone else ever tried 38's or bigger on a dana 30

not a good idea... if you're locked and give it any throttle at all you will snap an axle shaft like a toothpick

um wouldn't suggest it....even 4.56 gears wont be enough for 40's...35's/37's are almost big enough for a dana 30...you'll break a shaft once you accelerate on 40's

hey bj-666 i agree it should be fun before i snap something. but everyone else who has replied, have you guys tried big tires because im looking for people who have tried tried big tires and have some personal experience. Ive been running 36" tsl's for about a year with no problems other than accelerated bearing wear and trust me power isnt a problem my jeeps motor is modified. oh ya i already installed the 40's and been driving it around my house and ive been bagging on it and i havent had trouble yet

soon as i take it out ill post pics

Last edited:
dude I say do It, let us know what happens, then I wont be as worried to move up to 36's from my current 35's on my 30....let me know what happens

just pretend your driving a semi as your braking will be greatly effected. as for you question about big tires on a d30 well i have cracked caps, spit caps, and thrashed yokes on a sotck 760 size shaft with 31's so with 9" more of tire it is only a matter of time. have fun while it lasts and keep it in your yard so you don't kill anyone if it breaks on the street.

dude...

in JP magazine, they built the "ultimate 30" with a prototype OX 30 spline locker, alloy 30 spline shafts and some OX u joints... trussed it all to hell and ran 38's with it..

then said they would only run 36's, btu wanted to prove that it COULD be done with 38's...

40's!!!???

Back