• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

socket size for rear u-bolt?

garryjav

NAXJA Forum User
i found a dana44 rear in a junkyard, i'm thinking about going back to get it. does anyone know for sure what size socket the nuts on the u-bolts are? what i plan to do is get a deep 6 point impact socket and take like a 4 foot pipe with me to slip over my power arm and just break them off

Garry

Pretty sure they are 3/4"
Why not grab a couple sockets and throw them in your pockets just incase Im wrong.
I would also take a good hacksaw, prybar, jack and some blocks of wood . I havent seen a junkyard truck yet that isnt sunk in the mud, sitting on brake drums with almost no room to work under them.

tompatjr said:
Around here they will take it out for you, normally with a torch.

Most, if not all, yards around here will not let you remove anything yourself any more. I guess its a liability thing. Its nice to not have to crawl in the mud but it also means you pay high prices for junkyard pieces.

oh this ain't in the mud it still has the tires on it and the yard will pick it up with a forklift and let you trow some old wheels under it to hold it up. i think this ones like a 87 or 88.

Garry

If it is a 3/4, use a lug wrench off of another car in the yard. Many cars are 19mm, same as 3/4, and they are always 6 point.

When I got my junkyard D44, it was on a vehicle that had just arrived with frontend damage. Still had tires, engine, fluids and all in it. They had just put the number on the windshield and didnt even know what rearend was under it. They also didnt want to give me THAT rearend, I kept saying "I want that one" and they kept saying "take one off the hill" until they gave in.

They removed mine for me but charged me $250.

3/4 or 19mm

i got myne for 300, and they had a C8.25 there for 550- they said it had a special gear package of 4.10 but i still wouldnt pay that for that junk

ok so take 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 17-21mm sockets. they can all fit in your pockets right?

yea i have all those sizes in my tool box but what i asked was what size are they so i can buy a good 6 pt. deep socket that won't split when i use a 4 foot pipe to break them off

Garry

what year is yours? this one is like 18-19 years old and where they use salt on the roads. they might come off easy but it would be quicker to just snap them

Garry

garryjav said:
what year is yours? this one is like 18-19 years old and where they use salt on the roads. they might come off easy but it would be quicker to just snap them

Garry

1991, 15 years approx...though the Jeep has been belt the salt belt most of its life I would guess.

Just buy a impact socket. They are 6 point and much stronger than a normal drive socket.

garryjav said:
yea i have all those sizes in my tool box but what i asked was what size are they so i can buy a good 6 pt. deep socket that won't split when i use a 4 foot pipe to break them off

Garry

I see what you are getting at now. I would suggest buying 3 or four different size impact sockets and returning the unused ones when you are done.

Don't you have a universal U-bolt remover?:looney:
boltcutter.gif

I don't know that impact sockets are stronger so much as they are toughened to withstand impact. I'd go at it with my plain craftsman set -- I put 3ft pipe extension on the breaker bar with those all the time and never broke one yet.
Also if a regular (not deep) socket just might reach, that will give a little better leverage.

See if you can go in the day before and pbblaster it..

Back