• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering pump w/more output PSI?

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
well I repl;aced the gear and now the pump is whining bad adn cant seem to get it to stop with bleeding it, so I am going to need a pump.

question is if theres a off the shelf at autozone or such, that is more output and pressure then a stock 1990? I did a seach and read that theres a PSC pump and agr but nither of them are avail to me to be installed by this weekend wothout a 100$ over night charge. So i am hopign to just hit up a parts store for one locally and wanted something better then stock.

Any help wold be great...

Probably not. Why, specifically, do you want more pressure? Are you having trouble steering?

The seals in the steering gear are not exactly well-designed (they're just enough for the pressures they work at now!) and if you put in a high-pressure pump, I get the feeling you'll be putting a new gear soon as well.

Granted, if you run overlarge tyres, or have significant difficulty with steering, the you'll want higher pump ouput pressure - but you'll want a gear that's going to handle that pressure as well. If you aren't having any trouble, tho, higher output pressure won't be much help.

5-90

Well it is semi difficult to steer the 35's on the trail in my last TJ and now with this XJ with 35's I have just finished enough to drive, it seems a little worst then the TJ. I just replaced the gear with a reman with lifetime warr. so I can always exchange the gear if it does cause issues..

I talked with Vanco power brake guy and he told me that I needed the 1500PSI and 3.5+output unit for thier hydro boost or if I ever decided to go with a hydro winch or ram assist. He said that the stock box was fine with thier higher output pump. SO I got the impression that the extra 400-5000PSI was ok on a stock Good cond. gear box.

Then I called AGR adn they told me thier super pump works fine with the stock gear and will help some with a stocker. And that thiers is 1500PSI and I think 3.2 output.

I wonder if someone here can give any input as to the larger either PSC1300-1400 pump or the AGR with a stock gear?

ps... I just ordered the AGR super pump from Autozone at 139$ adn will have it tomorrow with a 3yr warranty from autozone. I think thats worth it concidering that a stock rebuilt is 85$-110$ and the AGR is a direct swap with no extra work, or so AGR says.

Should be, but you'll run into issues with the internal valving of the pump. As I recall, pretty much any hydraulic pump has an internal pressure relief valve - if you overdrive the pump, the relief valve just opens sooner. You'll have to change the spring in the relief valve as well, or just change the spring and leave the pully alone (since most fluid power pumps tend to run at - or just over - relief pressure anyhow.)

5-90

Back