• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Axles

joey99jb

NAXJA Forum User
Here is another newbie question-

I have no idea what axles I am running on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport but I want to upgrade my gears to 4.10....but I need this info. Can anybody help me out in finding this out? Is this common knowledge that I don't know about?

Vehicle Spec
3" Rusty's Lift
31" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's on Rubicon wheels
DynoMax SuperTurbo Exhaust
...thats it for now....

Thanks guys

Do you have any suggestions with where I can get the best deal for the 4.10s?

I have been searching through these forums alot and everyone pretty much says that 4.10s will be good for 31's.

Thanks

if you have ABS, you're guaranteed to have a dana 35 rear axle.
if there is a lip on the bottom of the rear axle, a little flat lip below the diff cover, that's a chryser 8.25 axle.
if the bottom of the rear diff is round, that's a dana 35.

chrysler 8.25 1996 and up is 29 spline, better than a dana 35 or earlier iterations of the 8.25.

your front axle is a low pinion dana 30. low pinion was used in 2000 and 2001. its different than the high pinion D30. when buying gears, make sure you tell them that you've got a low pinion dana 30 front axle.

456 is the highest gear ratio you can put into a D30.

What is the difference between 4.10 and 4.11? Based on what I have read I have a low pinion Dana 30 in the front and a Dana 35 in the rear??? I was wondering if that was right?

Dana 30 4.10 ring pinion low -- FRONT (EbayID# - 8045391800)
DANA 35 4.11 RING & PINION -- REAR (EbayID# - 8045251701)

Is this correct or am I doing something completely wrong?

Thanks

joey99jb said:
What is the difference between 4.10 and 4.11? Based on what I have read I have a low pinion Dana 30 in the front and a Dana 35 in the rear??? I was wondering if that was right?

Dana 30 4.10 ring pinion low -- FRONT (EbayID# - 8045391800)
DANA 35 4.11 RING & PINION -- REAR (EbayID# - 8045251701)

Is this correct or am I doing something completely wrong?

Thanks

you said you dont have abs, so you should have an 8.25. find a picture and compare.

the difference is .01 and it wont make a difference

dynamite44 said:
if you have ABS, you're guaranteed to have a dana 35 rear axle.
if there is a lip on the bottom of the rear axle, a little flat lip below the diff cover, that's a chryser 8.25 axle.
if the bottom of the rear diff is round, that's a dana 35.

chrysler 8.25 1996 and up is 29 spline, better than a dana 35 or earlier iterations of the 8.25.

your front axle is a low pinion dana 30. low pinion was used in 2000 and 2001. its different than the high pinion D30. when buying gears, make sure you tell them that you've got a low pinion dana 30 front axle.

456 is the highest gear ratio you can put into a D30.

4:56 is the highest you can go with a 8.25, not d30

dynamite44 said:
4.56 is the highest gear ratio you can put into a D30.
Not true but to go to anything lower than 3.55 you have to change the carrier.

Anyone know what reverse-cut means? Do I need to consider this when purchasing the gears?
Also, can I get the gears off a YJ? Thanks

Last edited:
reverse cut gears are for high pinion axles also known as HP D30’s just look at the axle, if the pinion comes out above the axle it is HP and you will need reverse cut gears, like wise if it is below the center point of the axle is low pinion and you will need standard gears

Found these gears on EBAY. I was lookin on buying them but want some opinions before. I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport with a D30 fron and Chrysler 8.25 rear. These gears are 4.10 and coming out of a 1996 Jeep Cherokee. Please check out the ebay description and let me know if this will work. Someone mentioned earlier in this post og low pinion vs. high pinion and I do not know if these 4.10 gears are low pinion? Does this matter?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=8057171006&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

EBAY ID: 8057171006

Let me know!

I assume that a 1996 Jeep Cherokee has high pinion gears...does this mean I cannot use these at all?

Last edited:
Back